What do you say about Nikon 24-70 2.8G non VR?

mjcmt

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Reviews are showing the new VR version is superior. There's also a lot of competition from other brands, but I'm reading issues w/ focusing in particular. The Nikon VR version is not possible w/ my small funds, but a used older Nikon 24-70 might be doable with a lot of searching.

The reason I'm asking is I was out with my wife shooting early fall colors from the vantage point of the Blue Ridge Hywy in NC mountains. It was so tedious switching between my old 20, 35, and 180mm lenses on the side of a mountain hywy that I determined it's time for a modern zoom lens.

I'm thinking of the 24-70 2.8 lens in particular because I don't only do nature photos, as evident on my flickr page.

(I have thought about the Nikon 24-120 or 24-85, but want photo quality to equal prime lenses)

Thanks kindly,
Mike

Last edited:
Personally I prefer manual focus primes. In my case the lens should be the simplest part of the system. Even with AF glass I prefer the older screw drive lenses after an AFS lens died on me. Not quite a Luddite but we're getting there......................but if I had to depend on the image paying the rent it would definitely be a VR. :allteeth:

The table below from DxOMark.com shows the G non VR version and E VR version are virtually identical in image quality. You didn't mention your model, so I just picked D750, a very popular FX body to build the table. As to VR vs non-VR, VR is helpful, but not necessarily needed at these focal lengths. VR is more helpful the longer the focal lengths. The non-VR rule of thumb is to not use a shutter speed slower than 1/focal length when handheld. That's 1/24 sec to 1/70 sec for this lens, which is not restrictive. When I'm shooting that slow or even slower shooting landscapes, I'm on a tripod with VR off anyway.

If your are shooting handheld at shutter speeds below the rule of thumb there is a technique you can use to increase your chances of getting a sharp image. If you set your camera to CH and hold down the shutter button while staying as stable as possible and take several shots there's a good chance one of the images in the middle of the sequence will be sharp.

2470VR.JPG

Nice that the non G has a good score. This gives me peace of mind. Now that I'm 68 the convenience of a zoom may be nice for a one lens solution for a majority of my shooting. Doesn't mean I won't use my 35mm 1.4 AIS for street, or my 180 EDIF on some occasions. Thanks.

I have a non-VR version that is my "normal zoom" I use with my D850. Mine is nice and sharp right down to f/2.8. I haven't missed VR. I have used a 24-120 f/4 quite a bit and I really can't fault it in any way.

I just purchased a Nikon 24-70 f2.8G non-VR off ebay and I'm waiting for delivery. It's a later serial number 772xxx, only 4 years old and seldom used and without issues. I pray it's perfect.

I plan on making it my go to lens, but will pull out my Nikkor 35mm f1.4 AI-S lens for street shooting.

I just got an email from ebay that order was cancelled and I'll be getting a refund. Either it's not working or he got cold feet about my offer. On the prowl again.
I found on with small scratch on rear element. Will this affect optical quality?

Most reactions

Back