D800 - will it really be as scary as Nikon is indicating?

We all know that the first 100,000 users of this new magnificent camera are going to be posting 100%++ crops all over the internet to show the prowess of 36.3MP...Nikon is making clear to the public the necessary techniques. Yes, it is going to show more detail, defect included.

I ain't scared, nervous as heck yes, but not skeered! :D

By the way, I have posted this link in my "D800 Announced" thread 2 or 3 days ago ;)

What really surprise me in this document, is that Nikon is recommending using LiveView with the D800 to help avoid mirror vibration. I suspect holding a DSLR with 2-hands while looking at the LCD is much less steady, however, than using your head/eye as an additional steadying point. I guess it's a "name your poison" situation - mirror vibration or camera shake.

This is actually a technique I've used with good result, depending on the situation. I find it most useful in the "somewhat sketchy but not too bad" range of shutter speeds.. like 1/15 to 1/60. Sometimes it makes all the difference.

What gets me is Nikon employs the SAME sensor as the D4, then throws a truckload of megapixels at it to decrease FPS and ISO performance compared to the D4.

Guess Sony had a "bulk rate" offer on sensors
bigthumb.gif

Were you expecting a mini-D4? That's probably not going to happen for the time being ;)

Were you expecting a mini-D4? That's probably not going to happen for the time being ;)

Naw, just amazed they choked the D800 down to sell the D4 for more and then Nikon brags about its truckload of pixels as a selling point is all. No biggie I may own one if its all that anyway

Well I'm sure the forum will have a flood of D800 samples in say...30 days ;)

Some high ISO comparison between D800 and D700. I'm not sure how legitimate this is but it looks promising...

Nikon D800 vs. Nikon D700 high ISO comparison | Nikon Rumors

Looks as-expected, to me. The D800's sensor is as Hogan stated, "at least two generations newer" than the one used in the D700. And, the electronics are newer. All in all, it appears that at the very High ISO values like 12,800 and 25,600, the huge increase in pixel count allows the D800's images to have Noise Reduction applied to them and to create a much cleaner, less-noisy image than the D700 can do with it's 1/3 as many photosites.

At 6,400 ISO, the D800 capture looks VERY clean!!!

Most reactions

Back