D810 Successor Wishlist

Solarflare

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Just like the D750 Successor Wishlist thread, what are your ideas ?

Well the short version of my personal wishlist are pretty much the same as the one for the D750 ... I already had thought to get the D810 instead of the D750 when my D600 was destroyed, but descided I prefer tiltscreen and double card slot of same type over silent shutter and larger AF field. So yeah, if the D810 successor gets closer to my personal priorities I would pick that one.

Lets start with Ming Theins suggestions:
  • Live view still needs to be improved. There should be an option to switch the camera on and have it go straight to live view; shot to shot times and blackout duration has to be much, much faster. We need another way to return to center if the multi selector has been assigned to magnify (or give us another button to assign to magnify).
  • A histogram that represents the actual raw exposure is needed. When you’ve got 1-2 more stops in the highlights than what the histogram is telling you, you’re leaving a lot of image quality on the table since you’ve got to do some recovery afterwards.
  • A tilting screen, please – both for varied-height shooting and video work.
  • Add U1 and U2 settings to the virtual mode dial – everything that can be changed in software (e.g. exposure delay, LV on, EFC, auto-ISO on/off) should be allowed for these modes. Why can I switch quickly between a tripod setup (base ISO, exposure delay, manual) and a documentary one (aperture priority, auto ISO) by turning the dial one position on a D750, but you can’t on any of the pro cameras? I’ve got to dig into menus and change things manually. It’s actually annoying enough that I thought about buying a second D810 and leaving one set up to run and gun, and one for tripod.
  • The built in flash rattles and feels a little loose –this is a build quality issue.
I would like to add:

Features I would absolutely want:
- backlit sensor (Well ... duh ! Of course !!),
- as MT said - tiltscreen
- two card slots of the same type (I dont care which type as long as there are two of the same type that I can use in backup mode)
- completely silent full electronic shutter during mirror lockup (for example lifeview) like the D5

With less priority:
- instead of just a tiltscreen, a fully articulated flipscreen would be prefered
- If you have U1, U2 or even more U modes, can you make them more powerful ? For example, I cannot configure a U-mode "Shutter priority with 1/60 sec shutterspeed" on my D750. I also would want several other settings different in that mode. Basically what Canon has ?
- more focus on one handed operation of the camera ? Theres only MENU and REVIEW buttons in hard to reach places
- lets admit it, the new autofocus system of the D5/D500 would be very, very tempting to have
- a well integreated touchscreen would be really awesome
- lower base ISO (down to 25) would be awesome to have for bright primes in daylight / maximum color depth for portraiture etc
- native ISO 25k, 50k or even 100k (probably no point to give even more, since that looks antrocious)
- If it has WiFi, please make that full featured: full remote control, backup / automatic backup / automatic backup into the "cloud"

Video (and manual lenses):
- again: tiltscreen
- focus peaking and zebras (under/overexposure) in lifeview
- 4K video (duh) at 4096x2160 24 Hz and 3840x2160 60 Hz
- no line skipping, give us full video quality
- 46.5 megapixel resolution for optimal video quality (4 pixels on sensor = 1 pixel 4K video, 16 pixels on sensor = 1 pixel 1080p)
- 10 bit readout to external recorder

Basically it would be nice if one could get a great camcorder with shallow depth of field and good high-ISO performance, once one has a corresponding high quality external recorder.

A few more mega-pickles, a better fps and buffer, better high iso ability. Newer AF setup.

That'll be nice.

Jake

Here we go again another pointless thread

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

To be fair, Nikon's CEO does frequent this forum.

^^ here were go with another pointless comment.

Why talk about a camera that is not for sale

Why comment on threads and add nothing to the conversation?

See, we can all bullsh**. Some questions in life just won't be answered.
All you need from a camera is apertures shutter speed and focusing

Why talk about a camera that is not for sale

Why comment on threads and add nothing to the conversation?

See, we can all bullsh**. Some questions in life just won't be answered.
All you need from a camera is apertures shutter speed and focusing

I'm sorry to hear that. If only you knew the kind of creative opportunities offered to you by modern technology...

But hey, be stubborn. That's cool too. To each his own.

- 46.5 megapixel resolution for optimal video quality (4 pixels on sensor = 1 pixel 4K video, 16 pixels on sensor = 1 pixel 1080p)
- 10 bit readout to external recorder

Basically it would be nice if one could get a great camcorder with shallow depth of field and good high-ISO performance, once one has a corresponding high quality external recorder.

A few points.
1. 46.5 megapixels is extreme overkill for 4k video and would add nothing to the overall quality. Most top end 4k cameras are no more than 12-15MP. It's more about the size of each lightwell rather than the quantity.

2. 10 bit out to external recorders would be a massive disappointment as most serious video people would want 10 or 12 bit uncompressed video. aka RAW video.

3. To truly reap the benefits of an external recorder you'd have to have a SDI port on the camera and I have yet to see one on a DSLR. Besides most 4k compatible recorders are in the $2-4K price range once you factor in media and a power supply. Not many folks are willing or able to pony up that much cash.

4. You can get a shallow DOF on purpose built video cameras too you know. ;)

5. Low light performance for video isn't the white buffalo that it is for still cameras. It's important yes, but video can hide a lot more sins than Stills. Also more often than not if you are doing high end production you are adding light to your scene and making it look darker in camera or in post.

As I described in the D750 thread, having 46.5 Megapixels, or 8192 Pixels on the long axis, would allow to map 4k very easily by mapping 4 pixels to 1 pixel in the video.

This is not only computationally cheap, it also makes it easy to get the mathematicallly maximum accuracy.

In fact, in case of a Bayer color filter based sensor, it also would allow to have exactly one RGGB chunk of values for each pixel, having precise measurements for all three color channels of that pixel. This of course would only matter if really all three color values would be recorded, which usually doesnt happen with video.

All DSLRs I know about offer only 8 bit. The A7s also only offers 8 Bit as of right now. The only mirrorless I know about with 10 bits is the Panasonic GH4. I certainly wont stop you if you want 12 instead of "just" 10 bit.

As I described in the D750 thread, having 46.5 Megapixels, or 8192 Pixels on the long axis, would allow to map 4k very easily by mapping 4 pixels to 1 pixel in the video.

This is not only computationally cheap, it also makes it easy to get the mathematicallly maximum accuracy.

In fact, in case of a Bayer color filter based sensor, it also would allow to have exactly one RGGB chunk of values for each pixel, having precise measurements for all three color channels of that pixel. This of course would only matter if really all three color values would be recorded, which usually doesnt happen with video.

All DSLRs I know about offer only 8 bit. The A7s also only offers 8 Bit as of right now. The only mirrorless I know about with 10 bits is the Panasonic GH4. I certainly wont stop you if you want 12 instead of "just" 10 bit.

LOL...
isn't the title of this thread "D810 successor wishlist"?
isnt that the point of runnah mentioning not currently having 12 bit? :laugh2:

Most reactions

Back