D90 Aggravation

bc2292

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i was taking pictures of flowers in doors today so i pulled out my SB-900
and was trying to dark out the back ground so i wanted to speed up my shutter speed and light up the flowers with my flash. For some reason even in manual mode when i had my flash on the hot shoe it wouldn't allow me to shoot faster than 200/s. I took off the flash and triggered it and i could adjust my shutter speed all i wanted. Is there any getting around this?
Thanks

No, thats the max sync speed of the D90. No faster w/ flash, otherwise you will be getting a shutter blade shadow in your shot.

It may, but I cant say for sure. He can always google it.

So i was taking pictures of flowers in doors today so i pulled out my SB-900
and was trying to dark out the back ground so i wanted to speed up my shutter speed and light up the flowers with my flash. For some reason even in manual mode when i had my flash on the hot shoe it wouldn't allow me to shoot faster than 200/s. I took off the flash and triggered it and i could adjust my shutter speed all i wanted. Is there any getting around this?
Thanks
Time to have another look at the ole D90 users manual.

Look up FP flash sync mode. You'll have to look at the SB-900 manual too.

looking at my book it says using the Auto FP (Focal Plane) high speed flash sync feature, it is possible to synch external speedlights compatible with the Creative Lighting System (CLS) at shutter speeds between 1/200 and 1/4000 second. This feature is only available in the P, S, A, and M exposure modes. Dont know if this helps or not but I was just reading this earlier.

You'll need to enable that on the camera, might say 1/320*(Auto FP) or something similar.

It will also need to be set on the SB-900, I use the 800 and I think it's set differently on the 900

~Michael~

Thanks to all the responses i googled it. Seems like i'm limited to 200/s but i'll just trigger it with the pop up flash and try to survive :)

Under your flash sync speed do you have

1/320s (Auto FP)
1/250s (Auto FP)
1/250s
1/200
.......and so on?

If so, you need to select the top 1/320s (Auto FP) on your camera. Once this is done when you have your flash turned on, it will say [TTL][BL][FP]

You should be set to go

~Michael~

kinda surprised this hasnt been mentioned yet...

the only thing the shutter speed is really doing under flash photography is controlling how much ambient light is being let into your scene.

if you want to darken out the background, you need to use a smaller aperture and a more powerful shot of flash. you didnt provide any settings or sample picture with exif, but if you werent at full power on your flash then you have some wiggle room.

kinda surprised this hasnt been mentioned yet...

the only thing the shutter speed is really doing under flash photography is controlling how much ambient light is being let into your scene.

if you want to darken out the background, you need to use a smaller aperture and a more powerful shot of flash. you didnt provide any settings or sample picture with exif, but if you werent at full power on your flash then you have some wiggle room.

But if the background is ambient light then speeding up the shutter will eliminate it...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back