d90 display ????

RobinG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have upgraded from a d80 to a d90 but cant get used to the viewfinder. If I use it in AUTO mode and try to take a pic theres a horrendous +/- bar in the middle of the display bar & its always way off to the under exposure side. Can I rectify this or remove it. I never had it on the D80 and I dont want it on the D90.
Thanks.

Robin

I don't think you can get rid of it, and you don't really want to, trust me on that.

As far as it being way over on the under exposure side, you probably have negative exposure compensation dialed in. Push the +/- button on the top of your camera(its right next to the shutter release button, and then spin your command dial until you center the exposure meter.

I just checked my D90 and the light meter scale only shows up in the viewfinder when set to manual mode. I don't see it in P, S, A or any of the scene modes.

That makes sense to me. Shutter and Aperture Priority will always "properly expose" regardless of what you set your setting. Manual, you do everything...

I just checked my D90 and the light meter scale only shows up in the viewfinder when set to manual mode. I don't see it in P, S, A or any of the scene modes.

Weird, I just popped my battery into my D90 just to verify. The scale shows up in P, S, A and manual.

It does not show up in the Auto or Scene modes. I actually didn't know that. I think this was the first time I've ever put the camera in one of the Auto or Scene modes.

To the OP: again, you probably have negative exposure compensation dialed in. Push the +/- putton next to your shutter release button, spin the dial until it is at 0, and your 'problem' should go away.

Last edited:
....Shutter and Aperture Priority will always "properly expose" regardless of what you set your setting...
You wish!

I wonder if the OP has RTFM?

I don't know if your using sarcasm or not, but these modes in my T1i always center the light meter based on my selection. At least according to the light meter, this is proper exposure.

I was just playing with my D5100 today and the exposure indicator does not show up in P, S, A unless you hit the exposure compensation button...So, if you overexposed or underexposed it will show up on the display. While in the M mode it will always show up.

You wish!

I wonder if the OP has RTFM?

At least according to the light meter, this is proper exposure.

I think that's what Keith was getting at. The meter does not always give you the correct exposure.

Exactly! If you are shooting in snow, like here in the great white north, the camera will under expose by about one stop & give you blue snow.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back