What's new

D90 ISO vs D7000 ISO

SunnyHours

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
129
Reaction score
3
Location
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,
I recently saw a thread on another forum talking about how the D90 has about the same Dynamic Range and Color Depth as the D7000 up to about ISO 1600.
If you were planning on only getting up to ISO 1600 would you still go for the D7000 considering I can get a D90 for around 600$ used or 780$ new taxes incl.?
Right now going for the D90 would let me get a speedlight...
D90 or not that is the question ;)
I'll be going to buy everything tomorrow so it's almost a last minute question as I quite liked the D90 but then again I've never tried the D7000...
Thanks a lot!
 
Dynamic range and color depth are much different than high iso noise...
 
+1 to jrtz

That being said I have been using the D80 for the past 2.5 years and have really enjoyed getting to know it and it's limitations. I can now sell my D80 for about $400 on e-bay and put it towards the newer D90 or the even newer D7000. Plus I have been able to round out my lens collection since buying the D80 with some decent glass (not terrific but good for a hobbiest like myself).

I guess my point would be you won't go wrong getting the D90 and a speedlight now. Use them to learn the camera and it's limitations and then sell it in a year and put that money towards the D7000 when it inevitably comes down in price. Then you will truly appreciate the improved performance the D7000 will bring you.
 
Last edited:
Don't plan on the price of the D7000 to come down, until it is replaced by a newer design.
 
I would agree with this except I would say in a couple of years the D7000 will be phasing out and a newer and improved camera will be coming out. The truth is you may never "outgrow" any camera or it's limitations may start to bug you right away. Just being an amature I chose the D90 over the D5000 because of the D5000's limitations when it came to controls. If you can swing a decent lens with the money you saved by buying a D90 I would go that route.

+1 to jrtz

That being said I have been using the D80 for the past 2.5 years and have really enjoyed getting to know it and it's limitations. I can now sell my D80 for about $400 on e-bay and put it towards the newer D90 or the even newer D7000. Plus I have been able to round out my lens collection since buying the D80 with some decent glass (not terrific but good for a hobbiest like myself).

I guess my point would be you won't go wrong getting the D90 and a speedlight now. Use them to learn the camera and it's limitations and then sell it in a year and put that money towards the D7000 when it inevitably comes down in price. Then you will truly appreciate the improved performance the D7000 will bring you.
 
Dynamic range and color depth are much different than high iso noise...
This is very true, but correct me if I'm wrong but until past ISO 1600 the noise is present in both the D90 and D7000.The noise just becomes a lot worse in ISO >1600 on the D90. The noise is just slightly more visible on the D90 because of the lower resolution
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom