D90 or D5000

maaatter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First time posting on here, so glad to be here. But I'm in a dilemma, I'm looking for my first DSLR and pretty much narrowed it down to two - D90 and D5000. I'm going to buy refurb for either (if that makes a difference). I'm looking to shoot anywhere and everything, really. Portraits, street, etc. I was looking at around ~500 or so for the budget, which a refurb D5000 kit falls into, but if the D90 is worth the extra money, I might do that with probably still a 18-55. So I'm just asking, are there any major pros and cons for either one over the other? Anything on the D90 that justifys the bigger price tag?

Another vote for the d90! I used to have one, really great camera. After my crapy experience with the d7000 I can honestly say I wish I kept it!!!!!

It really depends a great deal on what your goals are, photographically-speaking. If you are already into photography as a hobby and know that you want to take it more seriously, the D90, really no question.

I'll be honest, I don't really understand WHY someone would consider a D5000 anyway. For me it would be a decision between the D5100 and the D90. In fact, that WAS my decision several months ago. Well, that and the D7000, which I still kinda wish I'd gone for...

The D5100 is a good entry-level DSLR. You can learn a great deal with it, and it's cheaper than the D90, even though the D90 is older. But the D90 has a better build, it has an internal motor, which will matter more than you may realize now if you buy more lenses...it's a better camera.

If you can afford the price difference...go with the D90. If not, ditch the D5000 and go with the D5100.

It really depends a great deal on what your goals are, photographically-speaking. If you are already into photography as a hobby and know that you want to take it more seriously, the D90, really no question.I'll be honest, I don't really understand WHY someone would consider a D5000 anyway. For me it would be a decision between the D5100 and the D90. In fact, that WAS my decision several months ago. Well, that and the D7000, which I still kinda wish I'd gone for...The D5100 is a good entry-level DSLR. You can learn a great deal with it, and it's cheaper than the D90, even though the D90 is older. But the D90 has a better build, it has an internal motor, which will matter more than you may realize now if you buy more lenses...it's a better camera.If you can afford the price difference...go with the D90. If not, ditch the D5000 and go with the D5100.
As of right now, I like it, but nothing too serious, hence looking for a DSLR. Now is there a reason that the D5000 should not even be an option as of right now?

That is a hard choice of the 2, Both pretty much the same the D5000 does not have a in body focus motor so you cant use older lens, but has a good video, if you need that, I dont see why, Just get a video camera.
The D90 is well built, better that the D5000, I think the D5000 is a good camera for the money but the D90 wins out I think. the D5000 has a movable LCD, nice for video. The D90 is a winner if you plan to make a few $$ taking portraits etc, higher resolution LCD monitor, better built, If you just want to take photos of kids playing and home use, they are both good.

If you want a camera to learn on and get a pro feeling why not get a Nikon D200 and with the money you save get some GOOD GLASS not the kit stuff

Definitely the D90. If you must step down make it the D5100 and not the D5000.

That is a hard choice of the 2, Both pretty much the same the D5000 does not have a in body focus motor so you cant use older lens, but has a good video, if you need that, I dont see why, Just get a video camera.The D90 is well built, better that the D5000, I think the D5000 is a good camera for the money but the D90 wins out I think. the D5000 has a movable LCD, nice for video. The D90 is a winner if you plan to make a few $$ taking portraits etc, higher resolution LCD monitor, better built, If you just want to take photos of kids playing and home use, they are both good.
I don't need video, that's just an extra bonus. And eventually I would like to move up an take it serious for paid jobs, which I know I'll have to spend some more on glass before that happens. Also, that's not the first time I seen to get a D200. Now question, this might be obvious, but which be better to start with, D200 with fast glass or D90 with mediocre glass?

That is a hard choice of the 2, Both pretty much the same the D5000 does not have a in body focus motor so you cant use older lens, but has a good video, if you need that, I dont see why, Just get a video camera.The D90 is well built, better that the D5000, I think the D5000 is a good camera for the money but the D90 wins out I think. the D5000 has a movable LCD, nice for video. The D90 is a winner if you plan to make a few $$ taking portraits etc, higher resolution LCD monitor, better built, If you just want to take photos of kids playing and home use, they are both good.
I don't need video, that's just an extra bonus. And eventually I would like to move up an take it serious for paid jobs, which I know I'll have to spend some more on glass before that happens. Also, that's not the first time I seen to get a D200. Now question, this might be obvious, but which be better to start with, D200 with fast glass or D90 with mediocre glass?[/QUOTE

Myself I would get the D200, I have one and get GOOD Glass, Cameras lose value good glass holds its price, you can always get another camera, but Good Glass you keep forever.

It really depends a great deal on what your goals are, photographically-speaking. If you are already into photography as a hobby and know that you want to take it more seriously, the D90, really no question.I'll be honest, I don't really understand WHY someone would consider a D5000 anyway. For me it would be a decision between the D5100 and the D90. In fact, that WAS my decision several months ago. Well, that and the D7000, which I still kinda wish I'd gone for...The D5100 is a good entry-level DSLR. You can learn a great deal with it, and it's cheaper than the D90, even though the D90 is older. But the D90 has a better build, it has an internal motor, which will matter more than you may realize now if you buy more lenses...it's a better camera.If you can afford the price difference...go with the D90. If not, ditch the D5000 and go with the D5100.
As of right now, I like it, but nothing too serious, hence looking for a DSLR. Now is there a reason that the D5000 should not even be an option as of right now?

There's been lots of D5100 vs. D5000 threads; do a forum search and see what you come up with.

Or check this out. I'm not really a big Snapsort fan, but this does sum things up pretty well imo: Nikon D5100 vs D5000

The D200 has been around and it will still be around for years to come, built PRO quality, Fast Flash sinc and 1/500, everything at your finger tips, no need to go into the main menu to change, speed, WB etc. You would probably keep it as a second camera, battery life is bad but what a camera, just have extra batteries on hand.

Again this is a matter choice, what feels right in your hands, go check them out at a camera store and see what feel right to you. We all have our own likes and dislikes, you will get many different reply which is best.

Last edited:
Anyone have any thoughts on a D80 compared to the D200?

The D80 is pretty much like the D200 as far as image quality, but D200 is built far better, weather sealed, faster Flash sync, ISO down to 100 - D80 is 200, You have all the controls at your finger tips on the D200, Speed, WB, ISO, exposure mode. etc, no need to go into the main menu, brighter viewfinder, just a better PRO camera

Oh a big plus 5 fps and a bigger buffer, but remember the battery on the D200 dies faster, so you need extra batteries, but it is worth it. The d200 takes the Compact flash cards also, they cost more.

That is a hard choice of the 2, Both pretty much the same the D5000 does not have a in body focus motor so you cant use older lens, .
You can use older lenses on the D5000, but if an older lens doesn't have an auto focus motor in it you have to focus manually.
Plus, the D5000 has a rangefinder feature that will help you manually focus the lens, as long as the lens has electronics that send distance info the the D5000's CPU.

Most reactions

Back