D90 vs. D7000

mtkrado

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D90 that I purchased recently for $650, it came with the 18-105 lens which is quite nice. At the camera store I go to they listed a used Nikon D7000 for $650 body only in very good condition, I would like to shoot video and I know the D90 can but it seems odd, is it worth trading in my D90 for the D7000 without a lens?

If money isn't an issue, why wouldn't you want to go with the D7000?

Money is an issue, I only have the D90 to trade.

If money is an issue now, save up for the upgrade, the D90 itself is a very competent camera, since you bought it recently, you still have to learn with it until you outgrow it. Remember, the D7000 will not take better photo automatically than your D90 if you do not have the skill. Not worth selling your arms and legs to get it simply because you want to take better video. If video is what you are interested in, you should trade in for a Canon T3i or something like that instead.

keep your d90 its a competent camera, just as apvm stated, broaden your skills with photography/video. Dont think that a body with higher megapixels would make youre photography/videography look amazing, its the user not the gear (its just a bigger file that can be annoying to edit or deal with importing to computer). Go on flickr and join the Nikon D90 group and you can browse through all these amazing pictures taken with it. New bodies always come out every year, study up on glass and invest in them. Be happy with the gear you have currently then outgrow it and upgrade later

Then keep the D90 and invest in good glass.

keep your d90 its a competent camera, just as apvm stated, broaden your skills with photography/video. Dont think that a body with higher megapixels would make youre photography/videography look amazing, its the user not the gear (its just a bigger file that can be annoying to edit or deal with importing to computer). Go on flickr and join the Nikon D90 group and you can browse through all these amazing pictures taken with it. New bodies always come out every year, study up on glass and invest in them. Be happy with the gear you have currently then outgrow it and upgrade later

I have to agree with most of the posts. Flipping around is really not needed...and do not get trapped into technology to the point it starts to take over your life and your wallet. Getting your skills honed in knowing your camera intimately and your photography skills mastered will be your biggest asset. Learning to this will allow you to get out there and take the photos you want with confidence.

Happy Shooting!

Yep still shooting with the D90 and for the most part still fulfills my and clients needs. And acquiring better glass will breath new life into the D90. After acquiring better lenses and having a better skill set to apply to your photography will go further then flipping & flopping for the better bodies with the unfounded believe that a newer body will make you a better photographer.

I see many upgrading the body all the time chasing latest tech. The sad part is they never get past the kit lenses for the most part believing the body is the most expensive important part and never delve into better glass due to the cost. When in reality better glass is the wiser investment and many times costs as much if not more than the body. And achievable if not always fixated on upgrading the body ever year.

DSLR's aren't designed to shoot video. If you wish to shoot video, buy a video camera. The D90 is an excellent camera. Stop worrying about what you "don't have" learn to use what you DO have.

EDIT: These threads irritate me because they remind me of the old me. Constantly chasing the "next best thing" and thinking that I must be missing something with my current gear. That is the wrong attitude amigo. Go shoot photos and stop worrying about the damn gear in your bag. If you had a P&S and were looking to upgrade to a DLSR but hadn't made the investment yet, THAT was your time to think about D90 versus D7000. Not now.

DSLR's aren't designed to shoot video. If you wish to shoot video, buy a video camera. The D90 is an excellent camera. Stop worrying about what you "don't have" learn to use what you DO have.

So which do you want the OP to do? Continue to use the D90, or buy a dedicated video camera?
emoticon_test_by_vampire_meme.gif

So which do you want the OP to do? Continue to use the D90, or buy a dedicated video camera?
emoticon_test_by_vampire_meme.gif

;) Keep the D90 and buy a video camera to shoot video.

Thank you everyone, I'm going to keep my D90. I'm going to just put better glass on it.

Thank you everyone, I'm going to keep my D90. I'm going to just put better glass on it.
I know, I'm late to the party. Missed this thread somehow, but I wanted to throw a couple of comments in since I do currently own a D90 and a D7000.

I love the D90. It is an excellent body with a lot of features that will allow you to grow as a photographer without breaking the bank. It has several things that the D5xxx series lacks, and is a far better body than the D3xxx series.

That said, the D7000 is a BETTER body in many respects. Magnesium frame with weather sealing, better sensor performance, better autofocus. Low-light is vastly improved over the D90, and I get about 2 stops better low-light performance with the D7000 than the D90. Even though the difference in resolution isn't huge (16mp for the D7000 vs. 12mp for the D90) I find that I can get away with significantly larger crops on the D7000 without losing too much resolution on the subject. Since I shoot birds a lot that's important to me. The control layout between the two is virtually identical. Pick up a D7000 after shooting a D90 for a while and your fingers automatically go to exactly the right places.

I did "Upgrade" from the D90 to the D7000 and it was worth it to me. The difference in performance between the two has been worth the cost from my point of view. I still use my D90 and I have no intention of selling it, but facts are facts: The D7000 is a superior body.

All that said, I respect your decision to improve your lenses. Going that route will position you with better glass when you do decide to upgrade to a better body. For now, unless you are finding limitations with the D90 (I was, I needed more resolution and better low-light) there is no reason to upgrade. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the D90 as it is a jewel of a body and, in my opinion, much preferred over the D5xxx series because of its features. Stick with it and enjoy it. When it's time for another body you'll know and won't have to ask.

Yes I say do the trade, you can get the 18-105mm for around 150$ used on kijiji, these lenses are easy to find in good condition in the second hand market and the D7000 really is a great camera.

Most reactions

Back