D90 What to process RAW with

Ant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been using a D70 for seven years and processing RAW in Nikon Capture editor. However, I've recently got myself a D90 only to find that capture editor won't handle the RAW files. So I've apparently got to spend another £160 getting Nikon capture NX2

I'm not so bothered about the price as such, but what concerns me is that if I get it and then upgrade my camera in another few years will Nikon suddenly decide that NX2 is incompatible and force me to buy something else? With that said I'm looking at other options.

Are there any other recommended programs, such as photoshop, that will handle the D90 RAW files and, most likely, keep up to date with converters in the future?
T
hanks

Most software companies stop updating their old software when they release a new version of their software. 1, they want people to buy their new stuff. 2, it would take a lot of work to keep a dozen previous software releases up to date. 3, as computer processing improves, the RAW editors keeep getting better and better and there is a benefit to updating to newer software.

So, no, it's not likely to change.

As far as options for you now, Raw Therapee is free. Adobe offers 30 day trials for all of their software and all of their software comes with a RAW editor. CS5's Adobe Camera RAW is the most powerful, and as powerful as it is, I find myself spending less time in the actual Photoshop software and doing most edits from Camera RAW. Nikon also offers View NX for free and it will handle your D90's files.

Why not try asking whomever you bought the camera from to give you the disk with the software that came with it?

Or borrow a copy from someone else who has a D90?

FastStoneImageViewer
I've been using a D70 for seven years and processing RAW in Nikon Capture editor. However, I've recently got myself a D90 only to find that capture editor won't handle the RAW files. So I've apparently got to spend another £160 getting Nikon capture NX2

I'm not so bothered about the price as such, but what concerns me is that if I get it and then upgrade my camera in another few years will Nikon suddenly decide that NX2 is incompatible and force me to buy something else? With that said I'm looking at other options.

Are there any other recommended programs, such as photoshop, that will handle the D90 RAW files and, most likely, keep up to date with converters in the future?
T
hanks

Thanks for the info. I have still got the software CD that came with the camera. Either I haven't looked hard enough, or else it didn't do what I was expecting. I'll take another look and if necessary check out the other recommendations.

Here's a link to the Nikon software download site:

Current versions of Nikon software

Download the latest version of ViewNX2. It comes with the latest version of Transfer NX2. (both free)

I also use Capture NX2 (not free) and ACR from Lightroom 3 and CS5
I also use the D90.

HTH

I took another, harder, look at ViewNX and, although it does more than I initially thought, it's still very basic and nowhere near what I'm used to with Nikon Capture. I'm liking RawTherapy so far though, so thanks Sparky :)

Slightly more expensive, but I HIGHLY reccomend adobe lightroom. In my opinion, it's the best RAW processing software on the market. It cut my editing time in half compared to doing everything in photoshop.

just spend a little more and invest in Lightroom 4

I use capture NX2 for most of the raw files. LR, does a very good job w/ RAW, though I still prefer CNX2. I've used other programs for raw edit (I was looking for capture quality with LR's flow) but wasn't to impressed with final product. Again, CNX2 and LR are just great.
Good Luck

Most reactions

Back