D90 without warranty vs D5000 with warranty

diff.thinkr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been looking around to buy a DSLR and found that I could get a D90 without warranty or a D5000 with warranty for the same price. I was hoping that you guys could point out the risks in taking the D90 and is the cost difference worth the risk?

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]List of respective advantages for the Nikon D90, the Nikon D5000 and the Canon Rebel T1i, as well as Nikon D5000 versus Canon Rebel T1i comparison sample images added.

[/FONT][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]With features largely borrowed from the Nikon D90, the Nikon D5000 mainly differs in that it is designed to appeal more to those that are looking for a camera that centers around automatic user friendly operation, while incorporating similar technologies and delivering the same level of image quality provided by the Nikon D90. The D90 remains aimed at enthusiast level photographers that prefer more manual control options and an extended feature set. [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]That is not to say that the Nikon D5000 is not loaded with advanced capabilities, rather that the camera is specifically designed to appeal more to novice digital SLR users, providing easier to use Menu layouts and simplified buttons and controls. The inclusion of 19 automatic Scene shooting modes and the Vari-angle LCD monitor on the D5000, are features that have previously only been available on Nikon's Coolpix point and shoot cameras.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Based on general features and price points, the Canon Digital Rebel T1i / EOS 500D is the closest current competitor to the Nikon D5000 digital SLR.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]info : camera tips and guide's
[/FONT]

I'd prefer the D90...the lack of any warranty is of course a risk that only you can decide on.

I would go for the d5000, lack of warranty is a big deal! since if your D90 breaks all the money is down the drain! consider the fact that D90 and D5000 share the same sensor! go for the D5000 and have a piece of mind!

I didnt buy 100$ warranty. I just take good care of my camera, how the hell could you drop a camera if your always wearing your strap? :lol:

Anyways, your call the D90 is a far superior camera in my eyes but if your that scared of damaging it then just get the warranty with the D5000.

......[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Based on general features and price points, the Canon Digital Rebel T1i / EOS 500D is the closest current competitor to the Nikon D5000 digital SLR. [/FONT]
However, the Canon T1i/500D comes up short when you compare the dynamic range, color depth, ISO performance, and overall RAW image quality of the Nikon D5000, even though the Canon has 20% more pixels and costs about 40% more, than a Nikon D5000.

Compare cameras

Having now owned both I'm not real sure I'd say one is 'superior', nor would I say one has more features than the other. I love both of these cameras and have been a huge D90 advocate over the last 6 months or more, however I also believe the D5000 rarely gets a fair shake when put up against its big brother.

From memory:

D90 has a top LCD, dual command dials, built in wireless commander mode, slightly more direct access to commonly used features and a built in focus motor.

D5000 has a flip screen, auto rotating menu screen, intervalometer (for doing automatic timed shooting), still movie mode, more scene modes and a rangefinder.

They share the same image sensor and high ISO performance, same 11 point auto focus, same build quality, both support GPS and both support full manual operation.

In real life I find it just as quick in most cases to change settings and in some cases faster since the menu system actually makes some sense.

Decide what features you prefer and go from there.

Last edited:
Having now owned both I'm not real sure I'd say one is 'superior', nor would I say one has more features than the other.

From memory:

D90 has a top LCD, dual command dials, built in wireless commander mode, slightly more direct access to commonly used features and a built in focus motor.

D5000 has a flip screen, auto rotating menu screen, intervalometer, still movie mode, more scene modes and a rangefinder.

They share the same image sensor and high ISO performance, same build quality, both support GPS and both support full manual operation.

Decide what features you prefer and go from there.

This is a big one, its what made me go for the D90... now I can run the 120$ 50mm! :D

True... but arguably you can run the 50mm on a D5000 as well, it just won't auto focus... for that you can get a 35mm f/1.8 if you really need it. Myself, I prefer the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 - it's more versatile for me and allowed me to get rid of 3 lenses.

35 1.8
50 1.8
18-55 kit lens

After time I grew tired of the slower screw drive focus and decided all my lenses were going to be AF-S/HSM in the future.

Again, just a personal choice...

Best Buy example...

D90 w/kit lens, on sale for $1149
D5000 w/kit lens, on sale for $699

For the difference in price you could get a 50 f/1.4 AF-S or an SB-900 flash.

Again, I want to make it very clear I absolutely love both of these bodies... I'm playing devil's advocate a little here to even things out, far too often all the positives of the D90 are mentioned without the positives of the D5000, I'm guilty of this myself.

Last edited:
I was more worried if the sensors or something would break. I'll fo course be careful with it so not worried about physical damage but I wanted to know if anyone faced serious software or hardware damage (manufacturing defect) just after buying but not at the time of buying.

The difference in costs is about Rs25000 and will any possible problems cost me more than that?

By the way, thanks for this amazing response!!! I'm very much impressed by this forum!!!

The D90 I sold had a problem with the mirror locking up randomly and also the spring for the popup flash broke somehow. The spring alone would have cost me $250 (USD) had it not been for the warranty.

Again, All up to you. If your scared get it, if not get the D90 to be honest I dont like to think I threw 800$ down the drain if my D90 broke but hey? what can you do?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back