What's new

Dancing Class

JoshuaSimPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
1,484
Reaction score
96
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is some pics i took of my mum and dad’s dancing class. The lighting wasn’t so great and I didn’t want it so noisy so I tested out some slow shutter speeds. Please gimme some feedback! PS: I will shoot this again next week, so please recommend as many tips as possible. And these aren’t the best but, i will definitely take in the critique.
$12.webp
 

Attachments

  • $1.webp
    $1.webp
    11 KB · Views: 94
I like #2 best, because my eyes are lead immediately to the guys legs on the right, then they move over to the bright light. :)
 
That's a really neat effect in #2. I like how you managed to catch both left feet stationary and both right feet in motion. And while it's dark, the bit of light zigzagging through the middle is just beautiful. It's a nice, strong image!

I'd stick with this approach for your next visit. Maybe increase the ISO a bit. The exif doesn't show much. What camera/lens/settings did you use?
 
Thx guys, ISO was actually 800-1000, Shutter speed: 1/10-1/30, and aperture was around f8, I think i should lower my fstop though
 
Yeah...maybe shoot at a wider aperture, like say f/3.5, to get more light into the lens. WHen the light is poor, this is the kind of thing you have to do unless you use flash, and that can at times, be a bad idea. If the camera remains good and steady, a LOT of human movement looks kind of "neat" when portrayed by a longish exposure!
 
Thx Derrel, I will definitely try that, I tried some panning on my parents, but they were doing slow ballroom! And that just stuffed it up!
I was using a pretty novice cam and lens, D5100 with 18-55mm and my primary focal length during the shoot was around 40-55mm I wanted to get really close;)
 
Actually i like both...you can shoot a series on this... like very fast shutter with concrete image.... slowly diffusing.... until you get some abstract finals and of course the dancing feet only- in the series :D
 
Thx freq, I will have a go at that and nice avatar! Looks like everyone is changing it!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom