Dandelion Photos for C&C

It's not my job to make it inviting. If you were expecting a pat on the back and praises for weak photos then you may have come to the wrong place - try facebook. If, on the other hand, you want to learn, accept the harsh comments along with the positive ones and try learning from them. I'm not talking about my posts specifically. They're just one newb's opinions.

Pheonix, its not your job to be an ass to the new people either. The op posted his photo for c&c, a photo that he liked and wanted peoples opinions on how he could make it better. Which some of us gave and which he took. Give the guy a break I mean, its not like a doctor can go into surgery all muddied up because he just had to get the perfect shot of a dandelion on his lunch (or whatever ;) )

to op, good job on your 2nd attempt. I'll be back on later and I'll c&c them for you (baby crying (my full time job that allows me to get dirty whenever) :lol:)

(1)
6846735751_1df0753c3e_z.jpg

I dunno, I actually like the first more than any of the others. In particular I like that the flower is in the top part with the blues and browns, that the brown on the horizon relates to the brown stem, and that the stem breaks the horizon and "joins" the top and bottom. I am not super fond of the angle, but this image is certainly more dynamic than the others. Kudos for trying different angles, though. While there may not be a reason for using the angle here, I think it kinda works with some of the other lines in the image.

You did a good job of using the rule of thirds in the last 2 images, but I feel the solid green background is boring.

You don't have marked whether we can post edits of your image, and I am going out on a limb that you will be ok with it...but if you are not, I will delete it.

Dandy.jpg

I really bastardized this for a comparison of what a level shot would have looked like. I prefer it over the angle. The straight lines (horizontal and vertical) give a sense of peace where the angled shot doesn't. I think this works well with this solitary subject, and I think it works well centered. For me it's all the parts working together that makes this a decently cute image for me, and evokes a little emotion where none of your others do. Expiriment. Learn when to tilt, and when not to. Learn when to center, and when not to. It's all about the feel. Anytime you question your decision, take pictures both ways and decide later. Digital film is cheap!

Oh, and on my calibrated monitor these look UBER saturated!

I thought I did explain it -- thought it would be more interesting than having it right in the middle, straight up and down. Also, I was in my work clothes and couldn't really get completely down to its level without getting on the ground.

There should be a reason for the tilt. Does it give you a different, more interesting perspective? Does it look better tiltled as opposed to not?

Does the tilt add in anyway to the feel of the picture? I dont think so, imo these would have both looked better level

My advice the the OP is to ignore anyone who tells you why you need to justify this or that choice in your artistic interpretation of any situation... such as this person.

If you think it makes sense to you to tilt it, then tilt it.

I, for one, agree with you and find that your interpretation in many of these pictures is interesting on some level.

Not that I think the pics are terribly amazing or anything, but I would have chosen to tilt several as you have.

Thanks for the feedback! I will comment more when I'm at a computer, but at least I don't feel crazy for the tilted angle now. I was trying not to make it dead center but I do like it straightened out now that I've seen it like that. I get the "peaceful" thing you're talking about. (sorry, on iPhone and can't remember the username).

I'm a "her" and you can edit my photos! Guess I should update my profile. :)

Thanks again!

Edit: I didn't touch the saturation in he raw files and I'm not shooting in vivid anymore... Any idea why they would be over saturated?

Phoenix- I can handle the harsh comments on my photos to learn. I welcome them. Just don't want to be critiqued on what photos i choose to post. I don't really see the point in that. And to be honest even though these were taken during my 1hr lunch break in heels, these probably are some if my better photos with this lens and camera-- which I haven't had long.

Pheonix, its not your job to be an ass to the new people either. The op posted his photo for c&c, a photo that he liked and wanted peoples opinions on how he could make it better. Which some of us gave and which he took. Give the guy a break I mean, its not like a doctor can go into surgery all muddied up because he just had to get the perfect shot of a dandelion on his lunch (or whatever ;) )

to op, good job on your 2nd attempt. I'll be back on later and I'll c&c them for you (baby crying (my full time job that allows me to get dirty whenever) :lol:)

Apparently you and the op completely missed the point which is that if you're not willing to do the leg work and give it your best shot, don't expect anyone in the forum to waste their time critiquing your photos. As for me being an ass, well, right back at ya! Have a nice day!:puke:

Phoenix- I can handle the harsh comments on my photos to learn. I welcome them. Just don't want to be critiqued on what photos i choose to post. I don't really see the point in that. And to be honest even though these were taken during my 1hr lunch break in heels, these probably are some if my better photos with this lens and camera-- which I haven't had long.

Well, then like I said you missed my point completely. I tried.

These were my best shots from the ones I took yesterday and today.

Apparently you and the op completely missed the point which is that if you're not willing to do the leg work and give it your best shot, don't expect anyone in the forum to waste their time critiquing your photos. As for me being an ass, well, right back at ya! Have a nice day!:puke:

um seriously??? that was the best shot she could get given the circumstances. I don't see you going up to a rattlesnake for a shot, or getting out ladders and climbing rooftops to get a specific angle, or even climbing into the lions cage at the zoo. We shoot what we think will be the best view based on the circumstances. I am sure that if this was in her backyard she wouldn't have minded getting dirty. Have a nice day :)

is that smiley thing spitting on me? Or puking on me?

those are really nice photos! good focus and fov

And also, I really do like bitters edit of the first photo. Amazing what angles will do to a photo! (I'm still very new too ;) ) Its all about experimenting and posting your photos to get outside perspective.

paigew said:
I prefer #1 with the stem coming out of the corner. My advice would be to try and shoot these so that the horizon line doesnt show ( all grass/green background). The current background is a bit destracting. What apeture did you use? (helps if you post that along with shutter speed and iso). I personally would like to see the stem also in focus.

Thanks-- I shot so the horizon line didn't show as you suggested and I do like it better. I also opened up my aperture so the stem was in focus a little more but didn't want the grass in the background to be in focus too much. There are leaves that can be distracting.

to get the stem in focus you can also just use a longer shutter speed.... but at the same time you have change some stuff to make sure it doesnt get over exposed... on my monitor they are perfectly exposed the color is good but the composition is off... it does give sort of a more snapshot feel then a thought out photo... but i am also new to this photography thing and you should take my suggestions with a grain of salt...

Photog- I didn't know to try a longer shutter speed for focus in the stem but don't think it would have worked because it was a little windy so I was trying to use a faster shutter speed. Dandelions move a lot in the wind!

I was bent over so long trying to get a decent composition that a lady on the park trail came over to see if I was ok. She didn't see that I was take photos and thought I was "down"! So I hate that they come across as p&s's.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back