Dare I?

Matt Friedman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have never shot expired film. But this roll of Kodak Gold 200, from 2003, was lying in the bottom of a photo bag a friend gave me. What can I expect?

All expired film will have a slight to heavy base fog. C-41 colors will shift. The month film expires it is at it's peak curve and should be shot on that month. BW film can be processed in Kodak X-Tol and that will thin that base fog slightly. C-41 film is a crap shoot when that old. I would shoot it but only on non-critical work.

I'd expect to get a surprise. If you're up for experimenting, and think about what might look cool with some shifted color, I'd go for it.

It's not really all that old so it might depend on how it's been stored. I'd probably use it in some decent light maybe on a nice sunny day and not try it in low light. If it was B&W it'd probably be fine and if it was much older color it'd most likely have shifted. But manufactured in the 21st century? probably at least usable...?

I've used what I still have of the last Polaroid pack film made that was monochromatic (sepia, 'chocolate', blue). The sepia and brown have been wonderful; the blue shifted but being monochromatic I got a couple of cool magenta shots.

Go ahead and use it, live on the edge.

If it was not stored properly and introduced to some higher temps. You may find the film has stuck to itself in places. With exposed film the problem is trying to not ruin the exposures as you seperate the film. With unexposed film you run the risk of contamination in your camera, and the film layers themselves ruined, and shot will not be recoverable no matter the process.

So, as suggested above. Give it a try, but don't use it for important pictures.

If it were cold stored or even frozen. And warmed just once recently. It should be fairly good.

I shoot expired film pretty regularly, because there are some pretty good bulk deals on eBay now and then. Like everyone else has said, don't use it for anything too important. In my own experience, I find it's fine to use it outdoors on clear sunny days shooting well-lit close subjects, but with overcast/backlit/wide shots it's a real crapshoot.

ETA: Not sure if you do your own developing or scanning, but part of the reason I recently decided to buy a negative scanner was because of my shooting with expired film. Paying to develop the roll isn't too bad, but paying for a bunch of prints of your bad foggy pictures is silly.

Go for it, this is 10 years out of date Kodak Gold

053-XL.jpg

Yeah. I figured "what the hell." Loaded up, and took some shots. It's a short roll, so I'm not too invested in it. It was stored at the bottom of a photo bag, so it was not in cold storage.

I do my own scans, and processing is $4, so it's not really much of a financial risk. And I do all of my important (work-related) pictures on black and white.

Film is always about chance, anyway. Let's see what I get.

Yeah. I figured "what the hell." Loaded up, and took some shots. It's a short roll, so I'm not too invested in it. It was stored at the bottom of a photo bag, so it was not in cold storage.

I do my own scans, and processing is $4, so it's not really much of a financial risk. And I do all of my important (work-related) pictures on black and white.

Film is always about chance, anyway. Let's see what I get.
Ah, too late. I was about to double dog dare you. :345:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back