Dark Pics with motion

Midnights.Daydream

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone ..... I was wondering if anyone had any advice on taking pictures at night of motion. I was in an aquarium yesterday and it was really dark in there, So I turned my F-Stop all the way down to 5.6 and had a slow shutter speed. Doing that tho the fish came out really blurry, so I went ahead and turned my ISO higher that way i could make my shutter speed faster. Tho even then my pictures came out really grainy, still dark, and the fish were still blurry. So does anyone have any advice tricks or tips? I really appreciate it :)

well
one your shutter speed is as slow as it can go before they start to blur, and your aperature is wide open and iso cranked all the way up
thats as bright as its going to get i would say
try using flash, but im not sure how good it would work with the glass.

You may need a faster lens.

open your aperture up more you need a bigger DOF if your shooting in a aquarium. try opening it up to F11 or more. When I shoot the shed aquarium I have a rubber hood on my lens and I press it right up against the glass with a flash you can't see the glare caused by it with the rubber hood. That will bring your shutter speed up to par. Rubber hoods are like $4.00 But you don't want shuch a shallow DOF in a tank

open your aperture up more you need a bigger DOF if your shooting in a aquarium. try opening it up to F11 or more. When I shoot the shed aquarium I have a rubber hood on my lens and I press it right up against the glass with a flash you can't see the glare caused by it with the rubber hood. That will bring your shutter speed up to par. Rubber hoods are like $4.00 But you don't want shuch a shallow DOF in a tank

Thanks for the tip I may try it one day.

Okay Thank you so much! Im going to try that this week when i go back with the family! I really appreciate the advice :D

Not to nitpick, but I have to point out...changing your aperture from 5.6 to 11 would be stopping it down and not opening it up (larger number means smaller aperture), and while this will create a better depth of field it will INCREASE the problem of blur for the OP as less light will be getting through the aperture making him/her have to use a longer exposure time. Longer exposure = more camera shake and fishy blur.

Not to nitpick, but I have to point out...changing your aperture from 5.6 to 11 would be stopping it down and not opening it up (larger number means smaller aperture), and while this will create a better depth of field it will INCREASE the problem of blur for the OP as less light will be getting through the aperture making him/her have to use a longer exposure time. Longer exposure = more camera shake and fishy blur.
I also stated to use a flash! With a rubber hood on the glass so there is no glare. Using a flash will give the light lost by stopping down. I shoot these settings at the aquarium all the time it work just fine no blur!

...and while this will create a better depth of field it will INCREASE the problem of blur for the OP as less light will be getting through the aperture making him/her have to use a longer exposure time. Longer exposure = more camera shake and fishy blur.

But he said to do so while using flash and a rubber hood. The flash might be enough to speed up the shutter thus reducing blur and the rubber hood will eliminate any glare from the flash.

I'm kind surprised that they would let you press your camera right up against the glass:confused:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back