Darkroom on a budget…

mully, do you still have this equipment you are willing to part with? i am more then willing to pay you something for it and i am located in Raeford NC, just a short drive from you.

" Darkroom on a budget"

how about under $A100.

I picked some old dev trays at the local market . the next I wanted was a large format enlarger, the sad thing is for 20 years I ran a commercial laboratory and owned several enlarger, but when I retired sold the lot. Anyway all the enlargers on eBay where way over my budget so I made my own from plywood for the lens picked up a Russian camera lens on eBay.

" Darkroom on a budget"

how about under $A100.

I picked some old dev trays at the local market . the next I wanted was a large format enlarger, the sad thing is for 20 years I ran a commercial laboratory and owned several enlarger, but when I retired sold the lot. Anyway all the enlargers on eBay where way over my budget so I made my own from plywood for the lens picked up a Russian camera lens on eBay.

Could you post some pics and tell us more? That sounds like a fun project.

Okay this is all the info on my enlarger project..

Stage one : make a mock-up and test print.
Mathematically I know the required dimensions. But the Russian lens I will be using is marked as 210mm . With the Russian Industar lens that could be anywhere around that figure ..So a quick mock-up won't hurt..

photo sharing sites
I exposed a very rough test print with the cardboard enlarger, it's just under 5x7.

Let's start by drawing some plans.. so rough I won't post them .
Normally enlargers have a fixed base board and a head that can move. Because of a couple of factors dark room space/size I will be printing. I'm thinking outside the circle.

Rather than spend many hours making bellows, the focusing be done by a sliding inner box.
When cutting the negative holder my router slipped. So the gap will be filled with epoxy resin :lol:

Not sure how this will work.. If in doubt give it a GO!
Because the lens hasn't any locking ring
I thought this may work.
Cut a hole in plywood with a tank saw
Coat the inside of the hole with resin screw in the lens
Now I hope when the resin sets it will form a thread.
Fingers crossed.

Like topsy ...
A Draw for multi contrast filters
B Negative holder
C Lamp House
D Bogging ... will look okay after sanding
E I'm lazy shouldn't have use the on-board flash

This is the basic layout , as I have already stated not like the modern enlargers, but on the lines of what the photographic pioneers would have used. The colour stain is looking better I think I have replicated that aged look :-D
A is the lens
B the paper will go here
Now I must work out some runner system.. thinking cap on!

I have just made the first couple of test prints.
Conclusion :
On Foma multi grade ( G3 filter) The tonal range is far better that those digital scanned negatives .
Sharpness the results look better a than the DS.
Because the enlarger is using soft light ..zero dust spots
Couple on downsides:
Focusing isn't that easy . I'm thinking about adding a geared wheel.
Didn't get the magnification quite right. The size range I wanted was from just under 5x4'' - just over 10x8'' . It ended up okay for 5x4 but a tad under 10x8.

Negatives taken with homemade pinhole camera

Nice work. What are you using for condenser ? And one more question: isn't the negative too close to lamp ? (Heat.)

No condenser, it uses defused cold light, that's the fluorescent globes that look like incandescent lights.

No condenser, it uses defused cold light, that's the fluorescent globes that look like incandescent lights.
Smart.

It's a shame you don't live closer. I'd give you one of my D2's

Most reactions

New Topics

Back