Data corruption issue

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So either my camera or my card reader is corrupting files :(

I've just taken the card out of the camera (power off) and put it in the computer and every single photo is corrupted. The JPEG works but the RAW isn't reading and giving me classic corrupted (random colours and lines all over the place) results.

So first up has anyone any tips/advice on how I might restore this data? I'd type it into google but the results would baffle me with good and bad choices that I'd have no way to sift through to find a reliable choice.

I would try another reader or another way of downloading in case it is the reader. Are you able to plug your camera via usb with the card back in it and download that way?

It's worked! :)

This great news as it means not a broken camera - downside is that it now means I've got to work out what to do with my card reader. It's a built in one that sits in the CD drive slot on the computer tower - I'll drop a line to the manufacturer and see if they can make a comment since I'd rather keep it running since I use the additional 5 or so USB connections on the front very readily (otherwise my tower only has 2 USB connections on it on the front).

I've given up trying to use a 'built in' (I built the computer) CF or SD card reader. After bending the pins in 3 builtin CF readers (2 brands, multiple USB and other ports on same panel), I gave up and found an external USB device on Amazon that will accept any kind of memory card. If I break it, I'm out $20 give or take and no hassle whatsoever with disassembling my water cooled screamer computer. Fortunately, I never bent the pins in my camera.

Oh...I still have my old Windows XP computer that has a working multi-reader unit on that, too. So, if I had to, I can read the memory card there, then transfer the files over my network.

Most reactions

Back