Data Recovery?

CW Jones

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone know what is should cost? roughly? I am trying to put a price on 10,000+ photos of mine and I am having a hard time. All those memories and stuff, its basically all of the work I have done both for myself and a few customers.... I am not sure what it should cost or what I should expect to pay? Anyone have any idea or been in this situation before?

Thanks!
-Collin

The cost of data recovery maybe related to the media that you are trying to recover from.

I believe data recovery on a single hard disk is different from a failed RAID system. What happened?

Dell Laptop crashed, hard drive clicks... not good I am just trying to get my 10,000 pictures back.

Its a Western Digital hard drive. One tech up here at school said to call Dell and tell them I want compensation for the data loss due to a faulty hard drive that is less than a year old... who knows

ya that is kind of what I was thinking... its really hard to put a price on my photos... I am getting an external hard drive today or tomorrow tho that is for sure! $200 is a lot nicer than $2000+

I do not believe anyone will compensate the data loss due to hardware failure.
One of my client use Ontrack before. But they are usually not cheap. I believe it was at least couple thousands. They recover the data and ship the data with a USB drive.

Long time ago, I have another client went with a company, forgot which one. They post the list of files online (password protected) that they can recover and the person can select which files he/she want to recover. The cost were based on number of files with a min charge. If I am not mistaken, the charge at that time was 600 to 700 dollars.

ya I don't think they will compensate me either, I am not expecting it or counting on it BUT it never hurts to ask right? I would feel like crap if they would have said yes and I didn't ask haha

Could I make one other suggestion, since I work in IT, and take pictures, I never delete them off of my memory card until I make and verify at least one CD or DVD copy of them after I put them on my hard drive, there will come a time when your primary drive will fill and them you will tell your self...well I have them all on external drive ... and before you realize it ... poof....make two copies of really important pics....blank cd and dvd's are so cheap and most computers have cd or dvd burners...just a suggestion. Good luck with everything!!!

Thanks, I just wish I was a little smarter and thought of that before it crashed :( Hey life goes on, I will figure something out I am sure

I have had my Powerbook hard drive die. Nice thing with an Apple is you can start-up in Firewire mode. I have been able to pull data from a few hard drive failures this way. I don't know if a windows machine can do this.

sweet, so if I get a hard drive that runs off of a firewire 800 I would be able to do the same thing? I went out and got a MacBook Pro 2 days ago :)

my thoughts for an external harddrive is getting an enclosure with a firewire 800 connection then getting a WD 1TB drive to put in it. If I ever fill that up then I can get another WD harddrvie and put it in it

ya that is kind of what I was thinking... its really hard to put a price on my photos... I am getting an external hard drive today or tomorrow tho that is for sure! $200 is a lot nicer than $2000+

That seems rather high. I was quoted about $500 in Canada for data recovery from a hard drive by a reputable firm.

skieur

Heh, you're lucky to get away with a $500 bench fee depending on the state of the drive.

A directory print out of what he could recover from the drive was done free of charge before any decision was made to go ahead.

skieur

Most reactions

Back