Daughter portraits

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. You're probably getting tired of seeing my daughter, Ellen, however she is the most willing model I have and I wanted to get some practice with my light and camera and never get tired of shooting her. So, here she is again. Lighting is simple, just a single alienbee 800 at just about 1/16 power. Camera: iso 200, f/4, 1/180, 50mm lens. The last image is kind of a work in progress. It didn't turn out exactly as I imagined. I plan on re-shooting it in the future when she is a little less squiggly. My thought was to shoot her standing up, touching the mirror, then maybe 5 years or so from now take it again and photoshop the more grown up as the reflection and the baby touching the mirror. Make sense? Just a thought, and thought it would make a nice portrait for now as well.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and comments.

IMGP0633web.jpg

IMGP0633bwWeb.jpg

IMGP0626bwWeb.jpg

I love your mirror idea, I think that will be fantastic! The light on the right seems a bit harsh, causing glare on her forehead and cheek, I'd suggesting turing it down/moving it back or diffusing it if it's not already. Ellen is adorable and I will never tire of seeing her pictures :love:

Johnboy2978 said:
You're probably getting tired of seeing my daughter, Ellen...

Not at all!

I like the basket shot. I think it would be stronger on white... key the background with the subject.

The mirror composite sounds interesting. You've got me thinking. Have you considered a reflection in a pond?

Cool stuff. Beautiful child!

Pete

Great first shot..... If only i could get my little one to sit still. Good Job:thumbup: :thumbup:

I could always look at that baby smile!
Your pics of Ellen are never tiring. Never.

What a very cute and precious daughter you have. I never get tired of seeing pictures like these. The mirror shot is my favorite, especially with that look and expression.

My only comment about lighting matches Alison's post. The mirror shot is a little hot on the right side but not bad at all.

I look forward to seeing more.

Johnboy2978 said:
I plan on re-shooting it in the future when she is a little less squiggly. My thought was to shoot her standing up, touching the mirror, then maybe 5 years or so from now take it again and photoshop the more grown up as the reflection and the baby touching the mirror. Make sense?

That's a brilliant idea. I say go for it!

your mirror shot is awesome! you did a very good job there!

Most reactions

Back