DaVinci Code

mentos_007

The Freshmaker!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok.. who has seen it? And if you have seen it, what do you think about it?

I just came back from the cinema. The only thing I can say is that I completely don't understand all this chaos and protests against this film. If a mature person goes to the cinema to see it, and they are sure about their religion (or lack of it) they will like this movie. Can anybody explain me why it is so controversial??

After all, if we tell the kids the story about Santa Claus, dwarfs, why not tell the people such a story about religion, especially if they can learn a lot from it? Mostly from the last sentences???

i havent seen the film or read the book so i couldn't comment on it. must say i'm a little put off by all the hype.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/default.stm

bottom right corner of that link there is a funny review of the film by some guy. he's pretty unimpressed to say the least. made me laugh anyway

mentos_007 said:
Can anybody explain me why it is so controversial??

I'v read the book but haven't seen the movie......... it caused controversy because it was implying that the catholic church is built on lies and for centuries they've been covering up the true story of Jesus....... and that the Vatican knows it is living a lie but does so to keep itself in power......... also Opus Dei were totally against the idea that the fourth century Roman emperor Constantine invented the doctrine of the divinity of Christ for political reasons, and a bunch of other stuff they didn't like.

There's loads more implications but it caused a lot of agro with religious believers becuase of the attack on thier faith.

It also has caused controversy because the film was suppose to be good :lol:

Let's not turn this thread in to a religious discussion, please. People who wish to do so may do that via PM.

Thanks,
Mod Team

danalec99 said:
Let's not turn this thread in to a religious discussion, please. People who wish to do so may do that via PM.

Thanks,
Mod Team

oops Sorry I didn't want to start a religious discussion and didn't think that it may be started here... just wanted to discuss the film and your idea on it...

BTW. I liked it a lot. Tomk Hanks is really good here and it is definitely worth seeing.

mentos_007 said:
didn't want to start a religious discussion and didn't think that it may be started here...

Neither did i ;)

Mentos: I know it was not your intention. :)
Arch: I wasn't referring to your post. :)

is it still ok to mention santa claus and the dwarfs though? :D

I really enjoyed the book; it was a fun read. So I'll probably go see the movie when the hype settles down a little. :lol:

Mentos: so you thought Tom Hanks was good in it? I keep reading he's been "miscast" here and I must say, I don't like the long hairstyle here. :thumbdown:

I've read Ian McKellan (? sp) is a scene-stealer. He has a great character from the book, too.

I think it will probably be all right; just need to keep in mind not all books translate well to film. :)

Can't wait to go see it! Read the book, could hardly put it down. I would love to see his other books turned into movies, they're very 'cinematic'.

I'm a Christian, and I just got back from the cinema as well. I thought it was a terrific movie, and it didn't change what I believe. In the author's own words, it's a piece of fiction! All fiction holds bits of truths, but I don't think anyone can really say how much truth this film really holds. I just take it at face value and enjoy the art of it all. =)

don't mention the "C" word verbs :)

Was totally sceptical about this before I went to see it, but having seen it was totally entertained.

Only problem would be the twist being perhaps a bit too obvious and that left me a bit bemused at the end of the film.

The subject matter is fascinating regardless and I think because of this it was always going to be interesting.

Most reactions

Back