Day at the zoo

Ralest42

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Being as I'm unemployed right now I have plenty of time on my hands to learn how to use my camera, well, at least play with it. Some of you have seen my pictures on here before and I'm hoping that it will look like I am getting better.

Anyway, I went out to the local zoo today. Took the camera and used it as a chance to get out of the house. Enjoy the pictures, and please send me your feedback so I can continue to learn.
I went out with only the camera and 1 lense, using a Sony A380 DSLR, with a 75-300 lense. Got the membership at the zoo so I can go another day and use a different lense, or add other attachments..

1)
$Eagle 2.jpg
2)
$Eagle 4.jpg
3)
$Eagle.jpg
4) I personally really like this one, the Lemur. The Caretakers had just come in to feed them, yet he seemed to be or at least act a little shy covering itself with its tail.
$Lemur.jpg
5)
$red wolf.jpg
6) Almost 90 degrees outside probably not a good day to go as most of the larger animals were lying to try and keep cool
$resting.jpg

I didn't want to put to many on here. I'm hoping that putting these six on here isn't too many, anyway again, enjoy and I look forward to reading your feedback.

Greetings Ralest. All in all you've got some nice photos here, if you'd like a recommendation I recommend some reading on composition and the rule of thirds. You'll notice in the first shot the eagles claws are cut off at the bottom of the photo, as are the wolf's paws and the lemur as well. It tends to give the viewer the impression that part of the photo is "missing". The third shot is fantastic, though I think it would benefit from a slightly different crop - move the subject to the left of the frame and up a bit.

Thank you, I always welcome recommendations, constructive criticisms, whatever form it may come in.

I'll take your advice under advisement and look into it. It's funny how someone can think photography is so easy, but after you start doing it you find out there is more to it than just pointing a camera and taking a picture. I am now able to notice some errors as I take my pictures, but your advice this is the first I've had that one recommended, the learning process is slow for me, but all recommendations and advice is welcome.

Thank you, I always welcome recommendations, constructive criticisms, whatever form it may come in.

I'll take your advice under advisement and look into it. It's funny how someone can think photography is so easy, but after you start doing it you find out there is more to it than just pointing a camera and taking a picture. I am now able to notice some errors as I take my pictures, but your advice this is the first I've had that one recommended, the learning process is slow for me, but all recommendations and advice is welcome.

No worries, I still learn something new almost everytime I go out. You've got a great start here - best advice I can give is to always shoot a little wider than you need, you can always crop out what you don't need later.

Great set though.. looking forward to seeing pics from you next trip!

Slightly off topic, while I was there, I did end up basically walking grabbing a couple of pictures here and couple there. Being as I've basically got a membership do you think it would be better to just spend more time at one location? Rather than trying to grab picture of everything in one day, pick a specific topic and concentrate on that, that was my thoughts after I left.

Slightly off topic, while I was there, I did end up basically walking grabbing a couple of pictures here and couple there. Being as I've basically got a membership do you think it would be better to just spend more time at one location? Rather than trying to grab picture of everything in one day, pick a specific topic and concentrate on that, that was my thoughts after I left.

Well generally when zoo shooting I find I get my best shots when I stay in one spot for a while, so I tend to try and spend at least an hour or so and often longer in one place. So one day I'll go and shoot at the cat complex, the gorillas and say the lied jungle - the next day I'll hit the desert dome, maybe the aquarium.. and usually the gorillas again.. lol. That sort of thing.

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like some really good advice. I will be hitting the zoo again here in the next few days waiting on the weather to break.

I've viewed your photo's, that you've made available on Flickr, (Some of them anyway) I thought you might have revisited the Gorilla's, (Avatar kind of tells me that too) Seriously though, the quality of pictures that you have made available to view really is impressive. I don't know how you get some of those shots, extreme patience or whatever it is, I really do see even more clearly what you were talking about.

Photography is only easy to those that don't care about composition,Exposure or strive for the very best final outcome of the image, just snap shooters.There is a over whelming amount of information here,in books and a lot to learn.Obvious you Care So that alone is going help you get better and better.Shoot a lot and critique your own photos and what you like and don't like and then others will point out what we tend to miss in are own photos. Nice photos other then what was said already about composition,these are nice shots.

#3 is very nice and love the Grey wolf also known as Timber Wolf.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, sounds like some really good advice. I will be hitting the zoo again here in the next few days waiting on the weather to break.

Great! Looking forward to seeing the photos.

I've viewed your photo's, that you've made available on Flickr, (Some of them anyway) I thought you might have revisited the Gorilla's, (Avatar kind of tells me that too) Seriously though, the quality of pictures that you have made available to view really is impressive. I don't know how you get some of those shots, extreme patience or whatever it is, I really do see even more clearly what you were talking about.

Well really appreciate the kind words - and ya, get by to see my boys quite a bit. Big fan of the Gorillas, I can spend hours over at the Gorilla complex and it doesn't ever seem like I've been in there for more than 10 minutes. I think your off to a great start here though, just a few little compositional things to work on and you'll have some top notch shots in no time at all.

Last edited:
One of the things I'm pleasantly surprise by with the eagles, is they were behind glass. #3 he was right up next to the glass. I was concerned with those trying to avoid the glare, which on the eagles the glare isn't very noticeable. That's the same situation with the Lemur.

I'm glad you all like shot number 3 of the eagle, as do I. I only hope that he will be so photogenic the next time I'm there. My personal favorite is actually the Lemur, of course, after pointing out about cutting off the bottom part of the picture it does make me question it. I'll take that and learn and I'll get a better shot of these Lemurs. That said, minus that error, I really like that shot, I watched him wake up with the caretaker, or zoo keeper, whatever their title is, he started walking to where the food was dropped, and at that time I pulled up the camera to take the picture and he curled up. So, that is why I call him shy, almost like he knew that he was going to get his picture taken and was tired of being photographed. (Not likely, but it's how I think of the image)

Robbins.photo and Darkshadow, thank you both for your comments, feedback, and suggestions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back