Dayara Bugyal-The most beautiful meadow in India (Pic & Story heavy)

Raj_55555

Indian God of Photography
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.rajarshiphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Finally had some time to make this post, so here are the remaining photographs from my trek to Dayara Bugyal, arguably the most beautiful meadow in India.
Prologue:
I wanted this trip to be totally unplanned. I didn't book any hotel rooms anywhere, started with no return tickets or preset return dates whatsoever. Traveled over 6000 km, spent nights in 5 different cities and in an abandoned hut in Barsu (village), made many unique friends along the way, saw random acts of kindness and fistfights on the same day for the same reason, changed my destination thrice on a whim, traveled with ticket, without ticket, in first class and in general compartment with hardly any space to stand (not repeating ever again).

The trek started from the village Barsu which, with an amazing Himalayan view and little pollution of any kind, has to be one of the most picturesque villages in India.

18268344295_335f83232e_z_d.jpg

Barsu was the starting point for the trek, and there was only one hotel there. Unfortunately they were all booked out, as I didn't have a room booked in advance I started looking for alternatives. I rented a stove and some food items, and found an abandoned hut in the village. I spent the night there, a few curious locals kept an eye on me but thankfully nobody seemed to mind much.

17646004704_aab06c1c30_z_d.jpg

Trek Starts:
I preferred a solo trek, and was followed from Barsu to Dayara by this puppy, who took a little nap everytime I rested.

18269788641_08e9998d43_z_d.jpg

The solitude up there after a 9 hour uphill trek was worth all the effort and every rupee I spent.
I pitched my tent in a way that the himalayan valleys were the first thing I saw when I looked outside the tent. The view from the tent was truly mesmerizing:

18163649321_7bef3028ed_z_d.jpg

17540803883_43dac01759_z_d.jpg

There's a saying in the hills, that Mumbai's fashion and Himalayan weather can change without any warning. The weather changed just as suddenly, and I had the opportunity to see such a weather change:

18188866095_7640c1157a_z_d.jpg

Rainfall:

18082489639_bb81bb5374_z_d.jpg

The next day, after waking up to a perfect sunrise:

18202001106_542c0d4a1c_z_d.jpg

and having a light meal I found a herd of horses (not sure whether wild or not) out near my tent. Most of them ran away as soon as I tried to approach, all except one! She was gorgeous, we made good friends and she stayed near my tent the next couple of days I was there along with this beautiful mountain dog which came later on in the evening, we shared meals and a few jokes (we had the obvious language barrier, but we tried nonetheless). Both of them used to disappear before sunset due to the extreme cold weather at night, and reappear at dawn. We shared some beautiful moments, my guide gave me some memorable photographs too.

18081281200_f02653f024_z_d.jpg

18081182298_29b965347e_z_d.jpg

18163316101_d57800f9d8_z_d.jpg

The last night of our camp, we faced a tremendous thunderstorm which almost blew my tent away, then it snowed and then just as suddenly the clouds cleared up. I was woken up by a loudmouth mountain deer outside my tent for a crystal clear view of the Milky Way Galaxy in the moonless, star studded night. The Himalayan view from my tent itself was worth all the effort, this was just that cherry on top of the cake as capturing the Milky way was at the top of my bucket list. I have shared these photographs earlier, so moving on!

I trekked on to the highest point of Dayara. Bakaria Top, standing at about 12500 feet, gave a clear view of the Himalayan valleys.

17646358944_e1b1e2e211_z_d.jpg

18185477252_f31a6c130b_z_d.jpg

Here are the banderpoonch (literal translation, monkey's tail) and kalanaag (black snake) mountain ranges, the main attraction of this place.

18162036296_1741a0a55f_z_d.jpg

Gujjars:
While camping, I made friends with many Gujjar kids(native to the mountains), all of whom, contrary to how "Gujjar" sounds, were extremely polite and well behaved. They are the natives of the mountains, and live a nomadic lifestyle, moving from one place to another depending on the snowfall.

A senior Gujjar:

18045157628_e0cb896bb9_z_d.jpg

The same person carrying the leaves to his hut in the second image.

17973722070_c6fafb6f78_z_d.jpg

I played a little cricket with some of the kids, and they took whatever residual food and oil I had when I was leaving. The kids were very polite, the second one even posed for the camera and made me feel very special when he told me that he usually never allows anyone to take his photographs.

18045186318_3104af2c09_z_d.jpg

18229291752_27ef2a5008_z_d.jpg

This small kid, Ashraf, even volunteered to carry all of my items on his horse in return for a cup of tea and two eclairs toffee (worth Re 1 each). I carried only my rucksack and it took me 1 hours and 40 minutes downhill without any break, he led the way and reached well before I did, leading his horse all alone, with all the other equipment. I was told he was to go back the nine hour journey uphill the same day on his own, amazing how hardy these kids are!
18234272921_2bbf13e518_z_d.jpg

The trip was memorable, but it was about to get even more memorable, just not in a good way. I realized again, that not having a return ticket was not a good idea. I had to travel in the general compartment, to spend 30 hours standing on one leg was not a pleasant journey to say the least, but it was an experience!

2015-05-27 03.45.56.jpg

It was a memorable trip overall!

17978337529_bd4107cd16_z_d.jpg

Last edited:
Raj, outstanding work!! That is both great writing and stellar photography. The 'perfect sunrise' image is simply excellent.

It seems I missed one pic, added it at the end of the original post.

wonderful stuff.
are these posted anywhere in a larger version?
Thanks Lew, means a lot :1247:.
Yes, all of them are posted on my flickr account at full resolution, but don't expect too high a resolution as most are taken with the D100.

Last edited:
Great photos and story. Thanks for sharing.

Pretty good photos. Amazing locations. Sounds like one heck of an adventure!

Great story and beautiful pictures Raj :headbang:

Finally had some time to make this post, so here are the remaining photographs from my trek to Dayara Bugyal, arguably the most beautiful meadow in India.
Prologue:
I wanted this trip to be totally unplanned. I didn't book any hotel rooms anywhere, started with no return tickets or preset return dates whatsoever. Traveled over 6000 km, spent nights in 5 different cities and in an abandoned hut in Barsu (village), made many unique friends along the way, saw random acts of kindness and fistfights on the same day for the same reason, changed my destination thrice on a whim, traveled with ticket, without ticket, in first class and in general compartment with hardly any space to stand (not repeating ever again).

The trek started from the village Barsu which, with an amazing Himalayan view and little pollution of any kind, has to be one of the most picturesque villages in India.

18268344295_335f83232e_z_d.jpg

Barsu was the starting point for the trek, and there was only one hotel there. Unfortunately they were all booked out, as I didn't have a room booked in advance I started looking for alternatives. I rented a stove and some food items, and found an abandoned hut in the village. I spent the night there, a few curious locals kept an eye on me but thankfully nobody seemed to mind much.

17646004704_aab06c1c30_z_d.jpg

Trek Starts:
I preferred a solo trek so I just picked up a local guide, who gave me a discount in return for some photography lessons along the way. We were followed from Barsu to Dayara by this puppy, who took a little nap everytime we rested.

18269788641_08e9998d43_z_d.jpg

The solitude up there after a 9 hour uphill trek was worth all the effort and every rupee I spent.
I pitched my tent in a way that the himalayan valleys were the first thing I saw when I looked outside the tent. The view from the tent was truly mesmerizing:

18163649321_7bef3028ed_z_d.jpg

17540803883_43dac01759_z_d.jpg

There's a saying in the hills (as told by my guide), that Mumbai's fashion and Himalayan weather can change without any warning. The weather changed just as suddenly, and I had the opportunity to see such a weather change:

18188866095_7640c1157a_z_d.jpg

Rainfall:

18082489639_bb81bb5374_z_d.jpg

The next day, after waking up to a perfect sunrise:

18202001106_542c0d4a1c_z_d.jpg

and having a light meal I found a herd of horses (not sure whether wild or not) out near my tent. Most of them ran away as soon as I tried to approach, all except one! She was gorgeous, we made good friends and she stayed near my tent the next couple of days I was there along with this beautiful mountain dog which came later on in the evening, we shared meals and a few jokes (we had the obvious language barrier, but we tried nonetheless). Both of them used to disappear before sunset due to the extreme cold weather at night, and reappear at dawn. We shared some beautiful moments, my guide gave me some memorable photographs too.

18081281200_f02653f024_z_d.jpg

18081182298_29b965347e_z_d.jpg

18163316101_d57800f9d8_z_d.jpg

The last night of our camp, we faced a tremendous thunderstorm which almost blew my tent away, then it snowed and then just as suddenly the clouds cleared up. I was woken up by a loudmouth mountain deer outside my tent for a crystal clear view of the Milky Way Galaxy in the moonless, star studded night. The Himalayan view from my tent itself was worth all the effort, this was just that cherry on top of the cake as capturing the Milky way was at the top of my bucket list. I have shared these photographs earlier, so moving on!

We trekked on to the highest point of our trek. Bakaria Top, standing at about 12500 feet, gave us a clear view of the Himalayan valleys.

17646358944_e1b1e2e211_z_d.jpg

18185477252_f31a6c130b_z_d.jpg

Here are the banderpoonch (literal translation, monkey's tail) and kalanaag (black snake) mountain ranges, the main attraction of this place.

18162036296_1741a0a55f_z_d.jpg

Gujjars:
While camping, I made friends with many Gujjar kids(native to the mountains), all of whom, contrary to how "Gujjar" sounds, were extremely polite and well behaved. They are the natives of the mountains, and live a nomadic lifestyle, moving from one place to another depending on the snowfall.

A senior Gujjar:

18045157628_e0cb896bb9_z_d.jpg

The same person carrying the leaves to his hut in the second image.

17973722070_c6fafb6f78_z_d.jpg

I played a little cricket with some of the kids, and they took whatever residual food and oil I had when I was leaving. The kids were very polite, the second one even posed for the camera and made me feel very special when he told me that he usually never allows anyone to take his photographs.

18045186318_3104af2c09_z_d.jpg

18229291752_27ef2a5008_z_d.jpg

This small kid, Ashraf, even volunteered to carry all our items on his horse in return for a cup of tea and two eclairs toffee. I carried only my rucksack and it took me 1 hours and 40 minutes downhill without any break, he led the way and reached well before I did, leading his horse all alone, with all the other equipment. I was told he was to go back the nine hour journey uphill the same day on his own, amazing how hardy these kids are!
18234272921_2bbf13e518_z_d.jpg

The trip was memorable, but it was about to get even more memorable, just not in a good way. I realized again, that not having a return ticket was not a good idea. I had to travel in the general compartment, to spend 30 hours standing on one leg was not a pleasant journey to say the least, but it was an experience!

View attachment 102328

It was a memorable trip overall!

17978337529_bd4107cd16_z_d.jpg
Really outstanding! Thank you for sharing the beautiful results of that great trip.

Excellent Story and Photos Raj,you truly are a amazing person.

Those are wonderful. Some of them are absolutely stunning.

I always thought your photos were good and that you had ability as a photographer but not having seen your photos recently I'm amazed at the progress you've made. I hope you have an opportunity at some point to have some of your photos published or licensed if this is an example of what you're capable of doing.

I enjoyed the story too, it sounds like you had a great adventure.

Great photos and story. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Brian... :)
Good stuff Raj. Befriending the animals had to be an unexpected treat. Thank you for sharing.

Gary
Oh it was, especially the horse. I love horses, and she was so calm and confident in her approach. I was so in love that I would have proposed if she was a human.. :biglaugh:

Pretty good photos. Amazing locations. Sounds like one heck of an adventure!
Thanks Derrel! :1247:
Yes it was amazing, I'm planning another one in the recent future.
Great story and beautiful pictures Raj :headbang:
Thanks Bill! :allteeth:

Really outstanding! Thank you for sharing the beautiful results of that great trip.
:) Thanks Prof!

Excellent Story and Photos Raj,you truly are a amazing person.
Thanks Dave, means a lot really! :1219:

Just outstanding, Raj, all of it!
Thanks Leonore, nice to see you around again! :1247:

Those are wonderful. Some of them are absolutely stunning.

I always thought your photos were good and that you had ability as a photographer but not having seen your photos recently I'm amazed at the progress you've made. I hope you have an opportunity at some point to have some of your photos published or licensed if this is an example of what you're capable of doing.

I enjoyed the story too, it sounds like you had a great adventure.
It feels great to read such encouraging comments, means a lot! Thank you so much Sharon. :biggrin-93: :1219:

I must admit, I'm a little jealous! With the exception of the crowded transportation of course. :)

Thank you for sharing! I enjoyed the read and the great pictures.

Most reactions

Back