DC - Spring 2018 TPF Meet 4/6-4/8

Discussion in 'Locations & Meetup forum' started by SquarePeg, Dec 13, 2017.

?

Which weekend to meet in DC? More than one choice is allowed. Please choose all that work for you.

Poll closed Feb 14, 2018.
  1. March 2-4

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. March 9-11

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  3. Mar 30-Apr 1

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Apr 6-8

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. Apr 13-15

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. photoflyer

photoflyer No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    True. The biggest enemies are strong wind, strong rain, and or an unseasonal hard freeze as the buds are developing.

2. snowbear

snowbear fuzzy-wuzzy Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    And the visitors who insist on picking the blossoms off of the trees.

3. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Fwiw. Bush and third eye blind are playing on the 6th. I'm going.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Braineack

Photos OK to edit
    We have any more plans/ schedule for the weekend?

5. JoeW

JoeW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Right now, it looks like I will be flying in from Houston the night of the 6th, taking my wife to the airport the morning of the 7th. I'll have a dog to tend to so I won't be able to give a full day. But I'll have time on the 7th and the 8th I can join the festivities.

6. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Nevertheless... Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I’ll be available Friday afternoon, most of Saturday and Sunday through the early afternoon. I’m planning to visit the tidal basin, cemetery, botanical gardens and some monuments. I was going to wait until the week before to check the weather and plan specifics based on that. If anyone has any definite where/when that they want to meet up, please let me know.

7. Braineack

Photos OK to edit
    w00t:

• Like Like x 1
  8. JoeW

JoeW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    First, weather. The long-range weather predictions I'm looking at say temps in the low to mid 50's as the highs for F-S-S. Partly cloudy on Friday (so a good day to be outside all day or to shoot stuff where you can't cover your camera). AM rain in the morning on Saturday and then some showers on Sunday. So...bring a raincoat and microfibre cloth to deal with drops or condensation on a lens. Also, the rain is a good thing--it will hold crowds down at the cherry blossoms on the weekend.

Second, here is the funeral schedule for ANC: https://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/Funerals/Funeral-Schedule/Daily-Funeral-Schedule Right now it only goes up to April 2nd. I strongly suggest (when it gets closer) you check for Friday. Shooting an official ceremonial funeral at ANC is a mind-blowing and humbling experience. While you're there, make time to shoot the Tomb of the Unknowns and the Changing of the Guard. I suggest you try for all of this on Friday.

I think the US Botanic Garden is a good place to meet up at for mid-morning on Saturday. That would be indoor, diverse plants to shoot, if it's raining badly it will be out of the rain, close to a bunch of other indoor and outdoor options. Address is 100 Maryland Ave SW, Washington DC. I suggest meeting by the front desk as you enter. Hint: they issue tripod permits to the first 10 people who request them so you can do some long exposures of orchids and stuff like that. If you're looking for something to shoot Saturday morning, think of the Tidal Basin. Early Saturday morning, with rain, there will be no crowds. But the cherry blossoms should be lovely, especially with rain drops on them.

I probably won't be available until about 10am on Saturday. I may be available for part of Sunday. Do NOT let my schedule dictate the plans of the rest of the group. Just keep me posted and I'll link up when I can.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Braineack

Photos OK to edit
    yum, for anyone out on sun:

I plan out going out at least Saturday am. I'd like to hit the cherry blossoms first thing in the am, like before sunrise, and then do whatever the group wants for the rest of the day. I have a party I need to attend in the afternoon in Arlington, so that works out for me. Supposed to be at a baptism on Sunday, so unsure right now if I'll venture back out.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  10. snowbear

snowbear fuzzy-wuzzy Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    We like Cuba Libre's Sunday tappas brunch. The Tap House (next block) is also a good place.

If anyone wants, we can exchange cell numbers via PM - sort of a roll call.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    Here's my tentative plan. Thursday spending time with my cousin and we might shoot some monuments at dusk then dinner. If rain is still predicted for Saturday morning, I am thinking I will hit the tidal basin on Friday morning to take advantage of the lower crowds and better weather then maybe the botanical gardens that afternoon. My cousin will be with me but let me know if anyone wants to meet up at either of these locations you're welcome to join us. I'll be available Saturday all day and could possibly go back to tidal basin at dawn @Braineack if weather is good or will meet up with you all Saturday mid morning for whatever everyone wants to shoot. Sunday morning I want to get some of the monuments at dawn if anyone else is into it...

12. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit

Will send you a PM.