DC - Spring 2018 TPF Meet 4/6-4/8

Which weekend to meet in DC? More than one choice is allowed. Please choose all that work for you.

• March 2-4

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • March 9-11

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Mar 30-Apr 1

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Apr 6-8

• Apr 13-15

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I booked my flight last night. Southwest is having a good 2 day sale! I’m going to fly in Thursday and spend some time with my cousins. I can meet everyone Friday and/or Saturday pretty much whenever. I’m heading home Sunday early evening so will have most of the morning and afternoon too.

My “must do” list includes the Tidal Basin at sunrise, one of the botanical gardens, Arlington cemetery, Lincoln monument (at night or dawn I think)... I wouldn’t mind getting inside a couple of buildings too if anyone has a recommendation? Library of Congress? Capitol Bldg? Are they photographer friendly? Do arrangements need to be made in advance? I’ve seen most of the DC museums and the zoo already.

Any other good photo ops that I shouldn’t miss?
First, you cannot get inside the Main Reading Room of the LOC in the Jefferson Building except for 2x a year UNLESS you get a researcher's pass. It's worth it to go online at the LOC website and see if you can get one in-time. Jefferson building (especially on the lowest floor) is definitely worth it--I highly recommend it. The researcher's pass will get you inside the main reading room (see shot below). I'd choose that over the Capital if you just choose between the two. Also, I coordinate a local photo meet-up group. We've never had trouble with camera bags in the past with LOC.

Other interesting buildings to get inside of that are close to other stuff you want to see: Renwick Museum (part of the SI, very camera friendly, usually has some very cool installations that lend themselves well to photography), Hirshhorn Museum (interesting space inside and out plus modern art), National Museum of the American Indian (cool building inside and out), Union Station (close to the Capital and Supreme Court, you can shoot people, food, trains and a cool interior). Since you want to do the Tidal Basin, I recommend hitting the Jefferson Memorial. As for Lincoln, there are 4 locations that are great at night and all within 2 blocks of each other: the Lincoln Memorial, the US Institute for Peace, the Einstein Memorial, and the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial (ie: "The Wall"). All are good at night, location is safe at night. The plus of hitting the Lincoln at night will be fewer crowds so better photos of Lincoln on his seat. The negative: great view of the National Mall in daylight that you won't get at night. US Botanic Garden is on the Mall (between Capital Building and NMAI) so very convenient. Another interesting place (though far off the Mall) for indoor photography is the National Cathedral. They will also have great flowers too.

It's just a little bit outside of DC but you need a car to get there: consider Great Falls Park (a national park). Very cool. Big rocks, big water. Lots of hiking if you want it. Or drive in, go to the first 2 overlooks, shoot and then leave.

The two images below, the first is of the LoC, in the area accessible to the public, the second is off the Main Reading room (where you'll need a researcher's pass to get in to).

LOC-2.jpg
LOC-3.jpg

I'll have to consider 3/9-3/11 some more. On the 12th, I'm on the way to Chicago for a couple days...

Early April works better for me. I'm thinking that's about the time the cherry blossoms come out in the DC area, if memory serves.

Go figure, my university's photo club is doing a DC trip on 4/7. If you guys are there on the 6th I'll head down earlier and stay with family.

So just throwing some ideas out there...March 16-18? March 23-25?

Btw, my wife said I was weirdo and said I should bring a safety whistle...but it seems like I have permission to attend this event, haha.
March 23-25 is getting close enough to cherry blossom time... do we want to avoid that timeframe to avoid the masses of people? 2018 Cherry Blossom Festival - Washington DC | Cherry Blossom Watch

Haha, stay with me. If anything happens, I'll plan to scream with a very high pitch, which is my usual defense mechanism.
I have an aluminum tripod - it makes a great urban melee weapon!

I haven't looked at what the paydays are in March, but I'm pretty much open to any of them.

If you want a special treat, the ESRI Fed Conference is on March 20 & 21 -- I'll be there, with several thousand other GeoGeeks.
Do you know about the ticket situation for getting into that conference? I have been using ArcMap for research

So just throwing some ideas out there...March 16-18? March 23-25?

Btw, my wife said I was weirdo and said I should bring a safety whistle...but it seems like I have permission to attend this event, haha.
March 23-25 is getting close enough to cherry blossom time... do we want to avoid that timeframe to avoid the masses of people? 2018 Cherry Blossom Festival - Washington DC | Cherry Blossom Watch

Haha, stay with me. If anything happens, I'll plan to scream with a very high pitch, which is my usual defense mechanism.
I have an aluminum tripod - it makes a great urban melee weapon!

I haven't looked at what the paydays are in March, but I'm pretty much open to any of them.

If you want a special treat, the ESRI Fed Conference is on March 20 & 21 -- I'll be there, with several thousand other GeoGeeks.
Do you know about the ticket situation for getting into that conference? I have been using ArcMap for research
I don't recall the cost - I have a free ticket. Go to the "Events" tab on the ESRI website.

I might be presenting at the 2019 International conference in San Diego.

Last edited:
I'll have to consider 3/9-3/11 some more. On the 12th, I'm on the way to Chicago for a couple days...

Early April works better for me. I'm thinking that's about the time the cherry blossoms come out in the DC area, if memory serves.
We should have some cherry blossoms. How many and how mature the bloom depends on the next 30 days.

We should have some cherry blossoms. How many and how mature the bloom depends on the next 30 days.

True. The biggest enemies are strong wind, strong rain, and or an unseasonal hard freeze as the buds are developing.

True. The biggest enemies are strong wind, strong rain, and or an unseasonal hard freeze as the buds are developing.
And the visitors who insist on picking the blossoms off of the trees.

Fwiw. Bush and third eye blind are playing on the 6th. I'm going.

We have any more plans/ schedule for the weekend?

Right now, it looks like I will be flying in from Houston the night of the 6th, taking my wife to the airport the morning of the 7th. I'll have a dog to tend to so I won't be able to give a full day. But I'll have time on the 7th and the 8th I can join the festivities.

We have any more plans/ schedule for the weekend?

I’ll be available Friday afternoon, most of Saturday and Sunday through the early afternoon. I’m planning to visit the tidal basin, cemetery, botanical gardens and some monuments. I was going to wait until the week before to check the weather and plan specifics based on that. If anyone has any definite where/when that they want to meet up, please let me know.

w00t:

Both the National Park Service and the *Washington Post*’s Capital Weather today revised their peak bloom predictions, pushing them back even further. Both are now predicting April 8 to 12.

First, weather. The long-range weather predictions I'm looking at say temps in the low to mid 50's as the highs for F-S-S. Partly cloudy on Friday (so a good day to be outside all day or to shoot stuff where you can't cover your camera). AM rain in the morning on Saturday and then some showers on Sunday. So...bring a raincoat and microfibre cloth to deal with drops or condensation on a lens. Also, the rain is a good thing--it will hold crowds down at the cherry blossoms on the weekend.

Second, here is the funeral schedule for ANC: https://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/Funerals/Funeral-Schedule/Daily-Funeral-Schedule Right now it only goes up to April 2nd. I strongly suggest (when it gets closer) you check for Friday. Shooting an official ceremonial funeral at ANC is a mind-blowing and humbling experience. While you're there, make time to shoot the Tomb of the Unknowns and the Changing of the Guard. I suggest you try for all of this on Friday.

I think the US Botanic Garden is a good place to meet up at for mid-morning on Saturday. That would be indoor, diverse plants to shoot, if it's raining badly it will be out of the rain, close to a bunch of other indoor and outdoor options. Address is 100 Maryland Ave SW, Washington DC. I suggest meeting by the front desk as you enter. Hint: they issue tripod permits to the first 10 people who request them so you can do some long exposures of orchids and stuff like that. If you're looking for something to shoot Saturday morning, think of the Tidal Basin. Early Saturday morning, with rain, there will be no crowds. But the cherry blossoms should be lovely, especially with rain drops on them.

I probably won't be available until about 10am on Saturday. I may be available for part of Sunday. Do NOT let my schedule dictate the plans of the rest of the group. Just keep me posted and I'll link up when I can.

Last edited:
yum, for anyone out on sun:

Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar in Penn Quarter, Washington DC (9th & H, NW) will celebrate National Empanada Day on Sunday, April 8 by offering ALL empanadas for just $1 (!!!) from 4 to 7 p.m. at the bar during the restaurant's annual Dollar Empanada Happy Hour!

The signature empanadas, made with a variety of fillings, can be paired with Cuba LIbre's many Happy Hour drink specials, including $5 cocktails; $4 housemade sangria; $4 house wine, and $3.5 beer.

Guests can choose from the following $1 empanadas on Sunday, April 8 (dine-in only!):

- Del Campo: Pulled pork, roasted poblano, charred tomatoes
- Picadillo: Cienfuegos-style ground beef, potatoes, Manzanilla olives and raisins
- De la Casa: Hand-chopped chicken, corn, Jack cheese

Don't miss out! $1 Empanada Happy Hour only happens once a year!

I plan out going out at least Saturday am. I'd like to hit the cherry blossoms first thing in the am, like before sunrise, and then do whatever the group wants for the rest of the day. I have a party I need to attend in the afternoon in Arlington, so that works out for me. Supposed to be at a baptism on Sunday, so unsure right now if I'll venture back out.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back