DC - Spring 2018 TPF Meet 4/6-4/8

Which weekend to meet in DC? More than one choice is allowed. Please choose all that work for you.

• March 2-4

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • March 9-11

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Mar 30-Apr 1

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Apr 6-8

• Apr 13-15

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"I hope we get a jammin' foot of snow!"

There, that took care of it - dusting at the most.

It worked, thanks. Might not even rain now.

Yes - this morning, WTOP was saying most of the "wet" snow would be south of the city - which could mean me at home.
MLW has a meeting, tonight; if we are not too late getting home, I am going to feed the critters early and try to get to town by 7 (drive and park on the mall); otherwise, I'll be there by 10 (Metrorail).

chance of rain is only 20% now, and the temp high has gone up to 46°F. Ill take it!

see you guys/gals tomorrow

I'm driving right in and parking near squarepegs hotel.

The aviation forecast is very detailed, highly localized and updated every six hours. It is great for photography because it is specific as to the altitude and type of cloud cover. Here it is for DCA and I will interpret:

KDCA 061747Z 0618/0724 26010G20KT P6SM BKN250
FM070000 24008KT P6SM BKN080
FM070800 35010KT P6SM -RASN OVC030
FM071500 35005G17KT P6SM OVC050

The relevant part starts at 3am local time and say the winds will be from the north at 11.5 mph, 6+ miles visibility, light rain and snow, overcast at 3000 feet.

Starting at 10am local there is no precipitation, the winds pick up a bit gusting to 19 mph , visibility is still 6+ miles and the ceiling is overcast 5000.

Of course this is subject to change and most certainly will be refined as we get closer to Saturday morning.

Was down at the tidal basin for sunrise this morning although the clouds really cut that short. Got some nice photos. Looking forward to going back there in the am.

It was full of photogs. I of course left my tripod home by mistake so had to bump up the ISO. Still got lots of nice stuff.

See you all tomorrow.

iPhone shot from today
BC41EDCF-6422-4894-9BAD-0640E67E4706.jpeg

The local all-news radio station has been broadcasting that TODAY was THE day to go, because of the anticipated (cold/windy/snow/rain - take your pick) weather for tomorrow.

It was busy at sunrise but not crazy like I’m sure it was later. My cousin’s were shocked at how many people with cameras were out so early. I think they thought we’d be all alone down there.
93121D43-AFBB-4FDC-9F25-0152B406042F.jpeg

Ever been on Cadillac Mountain (Acadia NP) waiting for sunrise? Yeah.

Glad you got to hit the Tidal Basin. Did you shoot the Jefferson Memorial? And yeah, the Tidal Basin will be crazy on Saturday if there is no snow or rain.

I know people are talking about meeting up mid-morning at the US Botanic Garden. Where will you (or anyone else) be prior to that? I'm asking in-case the run to the airport to drop off my wife goes fast and I can get in to DC around 8:30 or 9am.

Glad you got to hit the Tidal Basin. Did you shoot the Jefferson Memorial? And yeah, the Tidal Basin will be crazy on Saturday if there is no snow or rain.

I know people are talking about meeting up mid-morning at the US Botanic Garden. Where will you (or anyone else) be prior to that? I'm asking in-case the run to the airport to drop off my wife goes fast and I can get in to DC around 8:30 or 9am.

We’re going to the Tidal Basin for sunrise then on to the Botanical Gardens. I may need breakfast in between! I know Snowbear has shared numbers for those who responded. Mine is there. Feel free to text me if you want to know where we are.

Posted some from Jefferson in a separate thread. Have more but they need editing.

Rewrite:
I should be there about 7:30 (the first train leaves at 7:00). I'll text the group when I come out of the tunnel, to see where everyone is, but I'll plan on meeting y'all at the Botanical Gardens.

Fantastic images!

I wish I could have made it, but my schedule 'filled in' during the past couple of months putting this weekend out of possibilities. Maybe next year.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back