Deal on a 40D? $600

harlequin29

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I am curious if I should purchase a Canon 40D body with 8k shutter actuations for $600.

It comes with battery, strap, charger, cd's but no box, and a rubber armor.
It is still under warranty, and the seller has receipt. Not sure if it has been registered.

Is this a good deal? A great deal? or just an average deal.

Feel free to ask anymore questions.

Also wondering what would be a good suggested first lens. Eventually I think I would like the Sigma 10-22mm wide angle or Canon equivalent.

I am going to use this camera to mostly shoot weddings. Any other suggestions for lenses or anything please let me know.

Thanks!

I got a 50D with batt grip two batteries still under warranty and all the software ill let go for 1k if u wanna spend a little more

Hi, I am curious if I should purchase a Canon 40D body with 8k shutter actuations for $600.

It comes with battery, strap, charger, cd's but no box, and a rubber armor.
It is still under warranty, and the seller has receipt.

Is this a good deal?
Sounds like a good deal to me, but not a great one. For comparison, you can get a brand new 50d body for 930 dollars from amazon.)

Also wondering what would be a good suggested first lens.
I am going to use this camera to mostly shoot weddings.
What experience and equipment do you already have?

Most wedding photographers will have three main lenses (and at least two bodies). The lenses would cover wide shots (the whole church, groups), regular (portraits of bride, groom, dancing, reception details, etc.) and long zoom (mostly used when circumstances dictate you have to shoot from far away such as the church balcony, or to get candid shots).

It's important to have a fast lens (wide maximum aperture) because most of the time circumstances will dictate you have to shoot using only the available light.

Personal styles vary though, and I've heard of wedding photographers that do great professional jobs with a single prime lens.

Of course, you could do this with all one lens - like an 18-200, but you will compromise on speed and/or quality.

What's your budget for that first lens? Personally, I love primes, but for flexibility Canon's 28-70mm 2.8 L zoom would be a good lens for most of the work you'd want to do on a crop body like the 40D.

I had seen price for a used 40D lower than $600 (something like $550). And $600 is the max I will buy for a used 40D.

As for the lenses for wedding type photography, although I am not a wedding photographer but from what I learned the typical setup will have few fast zooms that cover the wide angle, standard and telephoto and then one or 2 fast prime lens.

Thank you for the responses. As far as experience... I used to have a Canon Ae-1 with a few lenses. I sold it long ago. I have been shooting with my gf's D40 and D50 both with 18-55 kit lens helping her with her weddings. Other then that I guess I am just researching until I learn what I need. My budget for a first lens will probably be around $400-600.

Most reactions

Back