Decent Beginner Zoom in the $200 or less range?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking for a Canon starter lens for my brother. Something a bit better than kit, but not necessarily pro. He'd like something around $150, but could pull off $200. Wide-ish is preferred.

Ideas? Does anyone have good cheap-lens experiences?

I had a sigma 28-70mm f2.8-4 before I bought my Tamron 17-50mm 2.8. It was a nice little lens. Sharp, and had the 2.8 aperture on the wide end. I think I paid about $100 for it new on ebay.

I had a sigma 28-70mm f2.8-4 before I bought my Tamron 17-50mm 2.8. It was a nice little lens. Sharp, and had the 2.8 aperture on the wide end. I think I paid about $100 for it new on ebay.
I also have the Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4. It's a great lens and has suited my needs just fine up til now (I'm really itching for a SWA now). It's nice and sharp, and the autofocus is pretty good (way better than my "nifty fifty" which hunts for days).

The kit lens isn't really that bad...so unless you are going to spend $500...I don't think it's really worth it to 'upgrade'.

Unless, of course, you (he) would want to get a prime lens.

I suggest the 18-55 (kit) lens and the 50mm F1.8.

The kit lens isn't really that bad...so unless you are going to spend $500...I don't think it's really worth it to 'upgrade'.

Unless, of course, you (he) would want to get a prime lens.

I suggest the 18-55 (kit) lens and the 50mm F1.8.
The feel of the kit lens alone was enough to make me want to "upgrade" to the Sigma. And when you buy body and lens seperately you end up not actually spending an extra $140. I think I spent $50 more than I would have had I bought the kit.

EDIT: Of course, if he already has the kit lens (which I didn't think of) then I agree, it's not really worth it to upgrade.

The feel of the kit lens alone was enough to make me want to "upgrade" to the Sigma.
Ya, it does feel like a toy.
However, I think it's the feel of it, that gives it the terrible reputation that it has. If you stop it down to F8 or F11...it's a great lens and certainly the best $100 wide angle zoom you will find for that camera.

Most reactions

Back