"Decent" point/shoot sub $150

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My parents are talking about getting a digital camera and I thought I would get them one for a combined mothers/fathers day. Until now, they've been using a p/s film camera. They have a computer, but I could not imagine that they would edit anything. Mostly they take snap shots at holidays, etc. I can see them just taking an SD card into CVS or Walgreens to get prints straight out of the camera. Typically, it's just a 4x6" print, maybe a 5x7 at times.

So, I'm looking for something fairly simple for them. Probably something that runs on AA batteries instead of something they would have to charge. 8mp or less would be sufficient, and a lens w/ probably 4-5 x optical zoom.

Maybe the Canon 590IS? Canon - PowerShot 8.0-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black - A590IS

For simplicity you probably can't beat a Kodak Easyshare C813, 8.3mp, 3x optical zoom, plus 8x digital, very easy to operate. It has a bunch of scene modes and fairly decent video with sound. You could also get the Easyshare printer if they did want to print the odd shot or two. It runs on AA batteries and uses SD cards. Add an easyshare dock and they can easily view the phots on their TV while the camera batteries recharge.

I carry one as my pocket camera, I paid $90.

I've also had several Olympus, their image quality is excellent, the only drawback is they use Xd cards.

Panasonic with the Leica lenses are also excellent, they were just a little too bulky for me when I was looking for a pocket camera.

well i dont own that camera, but i also am looking at buying it. it is one of consumer reports best buy and ive read lots of good reviews on it. plus, as of yesterday, might have changed today, but the amazon price is $109.00. good luck!!!

Came back to add, my wife and daughter both have Fujis, image quality from them is excellent too. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the name brands, the more you spend the more megapixels and features you will get but even the base models are perfectly capable.

Last edited:
The Canon SD1100IS has IS and face detection built into a small form factor. It's good for a simple, no thought involved, point and shoot.

I had Kodak Z710 and it's was okay. Picture quality wasn't the greatest but it was user friendly and and have all the control of a DSLR. I had like 5000 shots on it before I got my D40. It's around 150.

Thanks for all the response to this. I really never look at P/S cameras but for my parent's needs, I think either the Canon 590is or the Panasonic Lumix LZ8 would fit the bill. Thanks for the link usayit. It looks like both of those came out at the top. I really like that Leica lens on the Panasonic though.

Speaking of Panasonic/Leica.

Circuit City was on its last days and I found the last of the in box/new Panasonic Lumix TZ5 at a great discount. It was towards the bottom of my list of P&S's but it was a great deal. The quality doesn't compare to my other cameras (most P&S don't) but I'm happy with it. Compact and easy to carry... I can't comment much more as I only have had it for a couple days but the dpreview seems spot on.

Most reactions

Back