Decent tripod

Most kit tripods are crap. If a tripod won't do what you want it to do, it's worse than useless. They're a hassle to carry around (some more than others) and a hassle to set up. So be clear about what it does well and how well that suits your needs.

If you're going to fly with it, it needs to fit in carry-on luggage (because you will not want to check your camera equipment--ever!). If you're going to hike with it, it needs to be light-weight. If you're going to shoot food or macro photography than you want one that allows the center pole to come out or reverse or tilt and legs that allow you to get the camera inches from the ground or subject. If you're going to shoot sports, you'll probably want a mono-pod.

I have multiple stabilization devices I use. I've got a heavy manfrotto to big to travel with but great when I'm setting up and staying there (like astro photography or fireworks or especially a studio). I've got a light travel tripod--light, folds up well but takes 2 minutes to set up and could easily blow over in a stiff wind. I've got a platypod (which I took on my trip to Vietnam--only used it for about 10 shots but it was worth it). I've got a gorillapod which works well when I'm going hiking. I've got a really cheap REI 6 inch 3 legs that fold together and will fit in a back pocket. I've got a bean bag that I can throw on top of a car to stabilize my camera. I've used every single one of them this year (but I shoot a lot of diverse stuff and I travel and hike a lot). And I used different devices for different situations.

As others have said, there is no such thing as the tripod that is perfect at everything. Every tripod or stabilizing device is a series of compromises. It's perfect only if you don't care about what it's compromising on. If you're not planning on traveling with a tripod or going hiking with it, I suggest you look for something that is very stable, maybe a bit heavier, not so easy to travel with (you'd probably throw it in the car and then drive to the scenic point to shoot that sunset or blue hour). But it will be rock-solid stable (which is what you need). If you're going to travel a lot, you actually should consider alternatives to a tripod (like bungee cords or a platypod or beanbag). Even a great travel tripod is a hassle to haul around, it's weight and sucks up space with a backpack or luggage (yeah, I know some camera bags allow you to tie it at the bottom of your backpack--so you can advertise "expensive camera gear inside--please try and steal me!").

Without seeing your tripod (but knowing what tends to come with camera kits), I bet the most useful purpose you'll find for it is to use it to put a speed light on if you shoot any studio work or portraits.

yes, it depends on the situation ... travel ... long exposure, etc
fortunately the Canon M50 mirrorless is small and light (with 'pancake' lens) so maybe a smaller and lighter tripod
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

I bought a stand and it's decent but there is one thing that drives me nuts. You can easily make slight horizontal adjustments, left and right, but you can't easily make minute vertical adjustments. You can loosen it but then it just goes all over the place.

Sometimes even the cheapest tripods can do the job. I ended up buying a very cheap tabletop one when in Kulala Lumpur to shoot the view from my hotel window at night. It might still get used occasionally for holding flashguns etc too :)

Like several others I have a collections of tripods for different uses. A seriously heavy duty one, one for macro, one for everyday use, & a cheap one that can be left in the boot of the car & lent to friends...

All the good ones have interchangable heads, and again no one type of head suits all uses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back