decided D80 but still some questiones

ISI_Stang06

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so after reading reviews looking at lenses, searching prices, and most importantly getting a feel of the camera i decided on purchasing the D80.

ive held the xti and xsi because i was considering those and i know they are great cameras for beginners but i just didnt like the feel of the 2 in my hand, the buttons felt hard and weird and the size was a bit to small for me. the biggest turnoff on the 2 rebels was that i just hated the eye piece (view finder) i thought it was just to small and found it real uncomfortabe to be squinting so hard in the 2. the D80 feels like a solid frame in my hand and good size viewfinder

another reason is that yes, i am a beginner in the DSLR world but i want a camera that i can start learning with and grow with, that way ill be able to use it for years. i feel the D80 has so much potential to grow with experience, am i right?

now i have some questiones for you guys if you dont mind,

1. which lenses do you all recommend for the D80?
2. is it better to get just the body and a better lens or do i go for a kit lens?
3. what lenses are you all using on the D80?
4. i keep researching but lenses something im still having trouble deciding on, just how many lenses work well w/the D80?

5. can i have some feedback and pictures taken by those of you with the D80 and the kind of lenses you all are using?

thank you guys, i really appriciate it :hail:

What lens to get all depends on what type of shooting you'll be doing. If you're not sure, start out with something cheap and basic to learn on before dropping any serious money on something else. My favorite kit lens is the 18-135mm for all around use, or if not that, the new 18-55VR. If you surf on over to this thread, most of the photos I posted in there were taken with my D80 and the cheap crappy $100 18-55 kit lens, and not even the VR version for the night shots.

What lens to get all depends on what type of shooting you'll be doing. If you're not sure, start out with something cheap and basic to learn on before dropping any serious money on something else. My favorite kit lens is the 18-135mm for all around use, or if not that, the new 18-55VR. If you surf on over to this thread, most of the photos I posted in there were taken with my D80 and the cheap crappy $100 18-55 kit lens, and not even the VR version for the night shots.

i took a look at those photos and yeah your right, those are some nice quality photos w/the kit lens. the kits ive seen come w/the non VR lens at good prices, i did however see a kit w/the VR version. but Mav is the VR lens good during the day? and what exactly is the difference? because i plan on shooting cars, sports, people, racing, drag racing, car shows. ill get the kit lens because your right, i will need to practice first and get used to the camera and what not.

I'd definitely get the 18-135 if you can. If you're going to be shooting racing you'll definitely appreciate the extra reach of that lens for not much more money. VR will pretty much be useless during the day and especially of moving objects. VR is what you need if you're walking around in dim light shooting static subjects and your shutter speed is bottomed out and you're getting blurry shots, or your ISO is maxed out and you're getting noisy shots. A shot you're trying to get at 1/10s and iso1600 in dim light you'll be able to take and get a sharp shot at 1/2s and iso400 with VR, which will look a lot cleaner.

Personally, for beginner lenses I would get the 18-55 VR and the fabulous 55-200 VR.

The more I use the 55-200 VR, the more amazed I am by it. It has as good (if not better) image quality than my $1700 70-200 VR.

I do not care for the 18-135 because it isn't VR. VR is a big deal.

Another lens to add to the list is the $100 50mm f/1.8

For motor shows and drag racing, I'd recommend getting the 18-55 as a kit with the D80, and then buy a Nikon or Sigma 55-200 (without VR, though, that'll be useless with panning photos). I have this combo and it's fantastic; the 18-55 is perfect for wide-angle stationary car photos and the 55-200 for action shots. They both have a surprisingly high quality and do the job just fine.

As for which lenses work, well, just about any of them will function perfectly with the D80, apart from older AI or AI-S lenses. So long as the lens has "AF" in the name, it'll work fine. Speaking of which, I'd also recommend getting the el-cheapo Nikon 50mm f/1.8. It's a great, basic lens, and although you're very limited when it comes to zoom (i.e. there isn't one :)), the shallow depth of field is yet again great for still car photos.

I'd definitely get the 18-135 if you can. If you're going to be shooting racing you'll definitely appreciate the extra reach of that lens for not much more money. VR will pretty much be useless during the day and especially of moving objects. VR is what you need if you're walking around in dim light shooting static subjects and your shutter speed is bottomed out and you're getting blurry shots, or your ISO is maxed out and you're getting noisy shots. A shot you're trying to get at 1/10s and iso1600 in dim light you'll be able to take and get a sharp shot at 1/2s and iso400 with VR, which will look a lot cleaner.

im probably gonna go w/the 18-135 lens. i was testing it out today at best buy and just loved it. i had my niece running around do everything to practice w/ it. my sis in law also loved it. im probably gonna have to buy it off dell though. due to that ill be able to get credit there. though i was having trouble when switching from AF to MF couldnt really tell the difference. oh and what exactly is VR? is it just image stabilization? doesnt the D80 come w/built in image stabilization?

thanks guys for all the help, keep the experience w/ your D80's coming

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/image-stabilization.htm

VR/IS is more helpful for scenic shots in marginal light without a tripod, or very long shots (200mm+) which can be difficult to hand hold well even in good light. It's not really going to help with motorsports type photos unless you're trying to do some panning shots where you'll usually want to maintain a very high shutter speed to freeze action.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/image-stabilization.htm

VR/IS is more helpful for scenic shots in marginal light without a tripod, or very long shots (200mm+) which can be difficult to hand hold well even in good light. It's not really going to help with motorsports type photos unless you're trying to do some panning shots where you'll usually want to maintain a very high shutter speed to freeze action.

I certainly would not pan with a "very high shutter speed to freeze action." The "very high shutter speed" would also freeze the background and would totally defeat the reason for panning. I would want a reasonably low shutter speed. That's precisely why VR-II has a setting that will automatically detect panning and disable VR in the panning direction.

Yes. for God's sake it's not rocket science. :)

There is a fancy little switch on the side where you turn it off if you don't want the VR.

click.

I certainly would not pan with a "very high shutter speed to freeze action." The "very high shutter speed" would also freeze the background and would totally defeat the reason for panning. I would want a reasonably low shutter speed. That's precisely why VR-II has a setting that will automatically detect panning and disable VR in the panning direction.
Oops, yeah I meant to say a slower shutter speed for panning, but a fast one otherwise.

Oops, yeah I meant to say a slower shutter speed for panning, but a fast one otherwise.
The panning feature that I described can be disabled when necessary. Nikkon recommends disabling it when taking shots from inside a moving vehicle.

I have a D50
with the 18-55mm kit lens
a sigma70-300
and a nikon 50mm f1.8

all good, all recomonded ( i wish the 70-300 was a tad faster sometimes.. but for the price cant complain at all )

www.coop81.deviantart.com/gallery

check the pics there
any of the pics within the last year and a half were taken with one of those 3 lenses

Most reactions

New Topics

Back