Decision HELP needed

GrammyC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am in the market for a new camera. Currently need to replace a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX300. I am thinking of upgrading to a 4/3 camera with exchangeable lens. I have done internet research, but need knowledgeable opinions before I visit a camera store & talk with a salesperson.

Several years ago I used a 35mm Minolta Maxxum 7000AF (which I still have) along with: Quantaray external flash, Quantaray AF/MF 28-80 lens, Promaster AF28-200 zoom lens, and Rokunar 1.4 M/AF tele-converter. Due to my research, I am wondering if it would be wise for me to use this equipment & get a camera with in-body image stabilization? Of course, being able to add modern updated lens down the road.

This has lead me to the Olympus line due to it's physical stability & 5-axis stabilization. I have used a small bridge Olympus prior to the Sony and loved it.

Thus my question: Considering the mirrorless Olympus OM-D E-M10III, but some reviews state it would not be good for sports photos which are of importance to me. I might consider (even though quite expensive) the Olympus OMD E-M1 MarkII because it is said to have the AF action quality I am looking for, as well as, weather resistant body and other superior features. My quandary, is this: Do I need to spend that kind on money because I no where near a professional. (For your info--I have taken action shots with the Sony that actually show the dust sliding into home plate, stopped the ball entering into the catcher's mitt and am satisfied with the results, but dissatisfied with the lag-time.)

Any thoughts and suggestions would be extremely helpful. Thanking anyone in advance for your input.

GrammyC :)

What is your proposed budget? I assume we are talking about only the camera and one lens for the next purchase.

I don't know much about the Olympus line, but someone will join in. I, too, had a Minolta Maxxum 7000 with three lenses and a flash. I gave them away to a friend on here because I wasn't using it anymore.

I usually recommend purchasing more camera than you think you need at this time because you will grow into it. That may save you wanting to upgrade for a few years. During that time, you save up for lenses and other accoutrements.

I do have a camera in mind for you, since you like sports photography, but I hesitate due to the price. My camera and nearly all of my lenses are Nikon. My wife thinks I spend too much on photography gear, but I think I am cheap compared to others.

It is good to know what type of photography you're interested in, and I liked your story of sports photography.

Most reactions

Back