Decisions about which equipment to use

Reaction score
Website
www.carolinedixey.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was recently hired as a staff photographer for a nightlife networking website, and one of the events I am shooting is a fashion show/party, so I'll be taking runway pictures some of the night and party photos the rest of the time. I [feel like I] made an excellent score tonight by getting a 10D with a 70-300mm lens, 2gb card, 2 batteries, charger, and a case for $175. I'm happy now, because I have a backup camera/second camera.

I think it would be better to bring two cameras rigged with two different lenses, one for the runway and the other for people, unless you guys think differently. Basically, I have this pile of equipment, and I'm not sure which to use on what to get the best effects. I've been dragging the shutter hardcore and using a wide angle lens recently in nightlife photos and have been pretty satisfied with the results. I've never shot a fashion show before though, so I don't know what's best.

Here's what I have: (All is Canon, unless indicated otherwise)
40D
10D
18-55mm 3.5-5.6
28-135mm IS 3.5-5.6
50mm 1.8
Speedlite 430ex
Sigma EF-500 DG ST

What do you think is the best match for which? Thanks, as always!

Well, the 28-135 IS lens is good for when you want to get photos with a bit of subject blur, so I'd say put that on the 40D (or 10D if you prefer). Also, if you're able to use it well, the 50mm F/1.8 will come in VERY handy as you'll be able to lower the ISO, so try putting that on the camera with the worst high-ISO performance (which I'm guessing is the 10D).

As for accessories, you can take them off and put them back on much easier than you can do with lenses, so try a combination of each.

Best of luck with the show!

Agreed, the 28-135 would be great for the party shots. But I would do this, the 50mm on the 10D with the speedlight for the party. The low aperture will allow you to catch the lighting of the party and still freeze some motion with a decent shutter speed. and Id use the 28-135mm on the 40D with speedlight for the runway shots. the 100mm range is generally good for shots like that is it give decent zoom without getting too close. Also it might not hurt to have the 10D on hand for that one with the 70-300mm since the 200-300mm range is really good for close facial shots.

I would say don't forget your 50 you might find conditions too dark to get any usefull images with any of your slow lenses. By the way not to be a jerk here but souldn't you as a staff photographer know all of this stuff.

40D
28-135
Speedlite, if allowed.

I would say don't forget your 50 you might find conditions too dark to get any usefull images with any of your slow lenses. By the way not to be a jerk here but souldn't you as a staff photographer know all of this stuff.

You know, man, you're always trying to "not be a jerk" it seems when you respond to my posts, but you do a very good job of being one. I was hired as a staff photographer for a nightlife website, not a fashion photography website, or a runway site. I thought that a forum was a place to ask questions and learn, apparently the purpose of a forum is to make yourself feel better by bashing others.

I'd probably use the 50mm f1.8 on the 40D for the high ISO performance + large aperture, making it very good in low light. And then put the 28-135 and speedlight on the 10D.

You know, man, you're always trying to "not be a jerk" it seems when you respond to my posts, but you do a very good job of being one. I was hired as a staff photographer for a nightlife website, not a fashion photography website, or a runway site. I thought that a forum was a place to ask questions and learn, apparently the purpose of a forum is to make yourself feel better by bashing others.
Now now now don't get so sensitive I am an equal opportunity jerk. There are a few people here that would probably have the same opinion as you. Really though if you can't take criticisim or suggestions you shouldn't open yourself up to them.

:wink:
Don't get too personal. JIP said something in the past that I do not like as well. But I think about this way. Why did he make that comment?

So I did more research and he was right. So I learned. And I am still learning.
But I do think that JIP sometimes just too straight. I did not mean that is bad. I guest that is just the way he is.

:wink:
Don't get too personal. JIP said something in the past that I do not like as well. But I think about this way. Why did he make that comment?

So I did more research and he was right. So I learned. And I am still learning.
But I do think that JIP sometimes just too straight. I did not mean that is bad. I guest that is just the way he is.

I'm totally down for constructive criticism, but a statement like, "Aren't you, as a staff photographer supposed to know this?" is not constructive at all, and therefore not necessary.

Now now now don't get so sensitive I am an equal opportunity jerk. There are a few people here that would probably have the same opinion as you. Really though if you can't take criticisim or suggestions you shouldn't open yourself up to them.

Again, I was under the impression that a forum was a place for constructive criticism, and that's what I was opening myself up to. The comment you made was not constructive at all, and benefited no one but yourself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back