Decisions...

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Based on my other thread, I'm not going to upgrade my body yet. One problem solved.

Next problem - what next?

I need to work on lighting, but I hope to be able to use only natural light. I have a flash I can use on or off camera as needed, but what else will I need in order to do on location photo shoots and use only natural light?

Just reflectors? Something else?

I currently have this diffuser for my flash: LQ103 LumiQuest ProMax Ultrasoft Bounce Flash Device

Is there a better diffuser I should be using on my flash, particularly for children? Or do I just need reflectors for now? Is there anything else I need in order to make sure I'm lighting my subjects properly and getting a good amount of light into their eyes to make their eyes show up nice and crisp like this: http://ilovephotography.com/forums/uploads/monthly_02_2011/post-36684-0-33010600-1298473609.jpg

I have been told and agree that the reason I can't get eyes to look that sharp in my photos is because I'm not getting enough light in the eyes... So, based on what I have, what do I still need in order to use primarily natural light only and get enough light in the eyes to make the eyes in my photos come out that crisp?

I made two reflectors using foam board, aluminum foil, and spray adhesive. I made it so one side has foil, and the other side is the white board, so I can switch off depending on what I'm doing. The white side is also handy for bouncing flash off of.

I've heard of people doing that... might give it a try :)

Just buy a big round reflector from Amazon. I bought one 44" dia 4 in 1 for like $25 shipped. I either bounce the flash or do OCF with no diffuser.

Outside I sometimes use straight flash for catch lights and getting light in the eyes. Especially when I am using longer focal lenghts.
A reflector and direction of the light will help too (when you are closer to your subject). I have also used a Demb Pro (Demb Flash Products - Demb Flash Diffuser), Similar to the LumiQuest for your purposes, but potentially more fexible and controllable for various situations.

Getting enough light in the eyes and catch lights seems to be the most important thing. Beyond that many also enhance in PP. Here are a couple examples (and good, free actions for PS or PSE):
The CoffeeShop Blog: CoffeeShop Eye Bright PS/PSE Action!
This has brighteing for the eyes, among other useful portrait touch-ups:
The CoffeeShop Blog: Introducing CoffeeShop PowderRoom 2!!!

Based on my other thread, I'm not going to upgrade my body yet. One problem solved.

Next problem - what next?

I need to work on lighting, but I hope to be able to use only natural light. I have a flash I can use on or off camera as needed, but what else will I need in order to do on location photo shoots and use only natural light?

Just reflectors? Something else?

I currently have this diffuser for my flash: LQ103 LumiQuest ProMax Ultrasoft Bounce Flash Device

Is there a better diffuser I should be using on my flash, particularly for children? Or do I just need reflectors for now? Is there anything else I need in order to make sure I'm lighting my subjects properly and getting a good amount of light into their eyes to make their eyes show up nice and crisp like this: http://ilovephotography.com/forums/uploads/monthly_02_2011/post-36684-0-33010600-1298473609.jpg

I have been told and agree that the reason I can't get eyes to look that sharp in my photos is because I'm not getting enough light in the eyes... So, based on what I have, what do I still need in order to use primarily natural light only and get enough light in the eyes to make the eyes in my photos come out that crisp?

Sorry I really don't understand this comment Sarah. If your eyes aren't coming out tack sharp that is generally a missed focus issue is it not. Who told you it was because of flat lighting or not enough lighting. I think the reasons that your eyes don't come out tack sharp is because you have missed the focus of the subject moved a bit not your lighting.

Sorry I really don't understand this comment Sarah. If your eyes aren't coming out tack sharp that is generally a missed focus issue is it not. Who told you it was because of flat lighting or not enough lighting. I think the reasons that your eyes don't come out tack sharp is because you have missed the focus of the subject moved a bit not your lighting.

Gotta agree with Dee on this. Now the question becomes is it actually focus, or are you just getting raccoon eyes... post a sample pic or three!!

Okay... let me see what I have on my flickr. I'm not home right now...

5473026570_7488e71ece_z.jpg

5459744898_774364bcbf_z.jpg

Don't remember who it was, but someone told me that the reason the eyes in my photos don't look like the eyes in the photo I linked to in the first post is because of lighting. There's not enough light in the eyes. So that is why I feel like my next "journey" is learning how to get more light in the eyes with natural light. The image I linked to in the first post is a natural light photo. Granted, the first photo I am posting in this reply is studio, but still, same kinda thing. The eyes just don't look as good as I want them to and I'm not sure what to do to fix it...

Why do you only want to use natural light ?, the 2 you posted are not well lit, put the sun behind the boy and he won't be sqinting

Okay... let me see what I have on my flickr. I'm not home right now...

5473026570_7488e71ece_z.jpg

5459744898_774364bcbf_z.jpg

Don't remember who it was, but someone told me that the reason the eyes in my photos don't look like the eyes in the photo I linked to in the first post is because of lighting. There's not enough light in the eyes. So that is why I feel like my next "journey" is learning how to get more light in the eyes with natural light. The image I linked to in the first post is a natural light photo. Granted, the first photo I am posting in this reply is studio, but still, same kinda thing. The eyes just don't look as good as I want them to and I'm not sure what to do to fix it...

Well, the second photo the Kid's eyes are squinted shut. That's probably why they don't look good. The first photo is really too small to tell.

I will find better examples when I get home

The first photo looks like missed focus. The second looks like its because of the positioning of the light source. Focus does look better on this one though.

The first photo looks like missed focus. The second looks like its because of the positioning of the light source. Focus does look better on this one though.

As far as positioning of the light source, the sun was to his left (camera right) but just slightly behind him. How should you position people outside in order to get plenty of light into their eyes without them having to squint.

And he's actually not squinting, his eyes are like that in every picture that he is smiling in... I think it's just how his eyes go when he smiles...

Here's a bigger version of the little girl. Note that these are not sharpened or resized for the web.

5473034852_5bb4ebddf3_b.jpg

5052334811_24fc2991f0_b.jpg

4904458896_ff981ff639_b.jpg

The only one of these that is NOT natural light is the first one...

I guess maybe I need more specifics on things. How to angle people, how to pose, etc... This is all stuff that isn't being taught in my photography classes and I guess it's the kind of answers I'm trying to get here but can't seem to get... This is the only forum where I get a decent number of responses to my threads. I belong to 3 or 4 other forums but rarely get a good enough number of responses to actually be helpful... Maybe that's part of the reason I'm getting discouraged too... IDK...

Reflectors are definitely on the shopping list for when I get some $$.

So what do I need to do to improve?

I understand the whole getting discouraged thing Sarah I do. I sometimes jump ahead before I am ready and then get frustrated because I forget stupid little things. Keep at it and practising. Read up on posing. Buy a couple of posing books to help you if you need it and practice practice practice your lighting. You own an off camera flash so use a stuffy and practice in full sun with your reflector and whatnot to see how it goes. Find your lenses sweet spot and work on putting it all together. Don't give up though you have come so far.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back