What's new

Deck the Halls

pharmakon

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
365
Reaction score
7
Location
Western NC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just a few shots from this weekend. Comment if you wish.

4164434253_3a681e2cce.jpg


4164427951_c5dfd99e5b.jpg


4164421675_d1e31d6eca.jpg


4164425121_1d0a7bdc4f.jpg


Thanks for looking!

-Ronnie
 
I love the 1st one! If you don't mind me asking, how did you get the lights to look like that?
 
I am pretty sure you need to use a wide open aperture to get the lights to look like that. I was just reading about it in understanding exposure last night. I tried to do it last night but I could not figure out how to get the lighting correct.
 
Thanks!

For the snowman I used my 28-135, had it about as close as I could get it to the ornament while still in focus. The snowman was actually on a mini christmas tree on a coffee table about 5 feet away from the real christmas tree (and lights). I had to do it that way because I don't have a lens with a really wide aperture.

I played around with the camera -->snowman--> lights distances until I got the look I liked. There are some more shots from different distances on my flickr.

Edit: BTW I used the widest aperture (lowest f/#) the lens would allow.
 
nice bokeh on 1.
 
Could you possibly post the exif data from number 1?
Sure, I'll post it when I get home tonight. I have really been meaning to make a template for lightroom so the important stuff gets embedded... right now I have it set to minimal exif because it was like 50 lines of exif data without that checkbox.
 
OK. Couldn't find a way to copy and paste it, but here's what I think you are asking for, if you wanted something else from the exif just let me know.

Shutter Speed: 1.3 Sec
ISO: 200
Aperture: F/5.6
Focal Length: 95mm
Aperture Priority Mode
Evaluative Metering

Did not use flash - the snowman is lit by my dining room chandelier camera right
(in case you didn't see it before I used the canon 28-135 lens)
 
Last edited:
yes a tripod was used... It was dark and at iso 1600 I couldn't get a fast enough shutter speed to hand hold. and thanks!
 
The first one is great. Great composition, shooting wide open definately made the shot.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom