Deep RICH Smoooooth Color. Only a few people I have seen master this. Help!

Flag pole looks fine to me :\ (assuming its supposed to be slightly wider at the base)

Downloading Nik Dfine and HDR now to see if I can mimic the clarity of the examples. If anyone thinks they can make it happen with my photo .. I would love to see it! So far the noise reduction i've used in photoshop reduces detail sharpness considerably.

Actually my bad the flag pole is fine
Just remmber no matter which software you use and HDR Efex Pro and Photomatix both look very different. They are not the end of the game and Images should be finished in Photoshop or lightroom.

Plus you shot late under very flat light which is good for tone...But it still gives you very flat light look

Last edited:
One thing that is really making your images look flat online is that you have them in Adobe RGB and that doesn't look good in most Browers. You should convert the images to sRGB and they will look alot better on the internet

The image looks a lot better in Photoshop, whcih is color managed, then they do online

Yes I did shoot late in order to avoid nearly all shadows (I'm anti-shadow). I was hoping to bring back the brightness in lightroom/photoshop.

Also I believe the DigitalCoast images are processed using just Enfuse and Lightroom/Photoshop. I just cant figure this out. Theres just something different. I feel like their images are smooth and sharp at the same time and their color seams rich and perfect every time.

I may be onto something here. Using 2 photos of the same exposure the blending programs can totally eliminate noise. I'm thinking if I take two 9-exposure bursts instead of 1 .. then blend each of the the identical exposures for for noise reduction .. THEN blend the exposures for HDR .. I will have a crystal clear image. Hope to find out tomorrow ;)

The images in the original post appear to have been run thru a Topaz filter. You'll see similar crispness and coloration in the wide angle shots recently posted here by janok.

An additional trick for smooth color is to adjust the WB of each of the raws before you process them thru your HDR processor. Doing so helps to keep the individual color channels from getting blocked. You'll end up with richer color without having to artificially crank up the saturation.

Last edited:
I may be onto something here. Using 2 photos of the same exposure the blending programs can totally eliminate noise. I'm thinking if I take two 9-exposure bursts instead of 1 .. then blend each of the the identical exposures for for noise reduction .. THEN blend the exposures for HDR .. I will have a crystal clear image. Hope to find out tomorrow ;)

There really isn't a need to over-complicate the process. Getting the "even / flat" look like HD Estates photos involves a tone mapper that allows you to brighten the shadows and attenuate the highlights until almost everything in the image is in a mid tone range. The way to eliminate the noise is to set the camera to aperture preferred and lock the ISO to its lowest level so you eliminate the noise in the source exposures. Some HDR s/w does not do well for architectural scenes. For example the output from Photomatix's Detail Enhancer tends to be "fuzzy". Some HDR apps have difficulty eliminating halos. Others enhance contrast of edges of fine and course radii, differently. To produce images like HD Estates, you need a combination of good photography, good HDR s/w, and careful processing. Even with all that, you still need to pay attention to detail. For example, if you look at HD Estates image lg010 (the bathroom), the view thru the 2 main windows is nice. However the window which is reflected in the mirror (the left window) is badly blown out.

The images in the original post appear to have been run thru a Topaz filter. You'll see similar crispness and coloration in the wide angle shots recently posted here by janok.

An additional trick for smooth color is to adjust the WB of each of the raws before you process them thru your HDR processor. Doing so helps to keep the individual color channels from getting blocked. You'll end up with richer color without having to artificially crank up the saturation.

Which Topaz filter? Adjust or Detail?

Which Topaz filter? Adjust or Detail?

I'm not sure. They just have that 'Topazed' look. You might ask janok for his opinion.

There really isn't a need to over-complicate the process. Getting the "even / flat" look like HD Estates photos involves a tone mapper that allows you to brighten the shadows and attenuate the highlights until almost everything in the image is in a mid tone range. The way to eliminate the noise is to set the camera to aperture preferred and lock the ISO to its lowest level so you eliminate the noise in the source exposures. Some HDR s/w does not do well for architectural scenes. For example the output from Photomatix's Detail Enhancer tends to be "fuzzy". Some HDR apps have difficulty eliminating halos. Others enhance contrast of edges of fine and course radii, differently. To produce images like HD Estates, you need a combination of good photography, good HDR s/w, and careful processing. Even with all that, you still need to pay attention to detail. For example, if you look at HD Estates image lg010 (the bathroom), the view thru the 2 main windows is nice. However the window which is reflected in the mirror (the left window) is badly blown out.

That would indicate to me that the two main windows were cut and paste from another image that exposed for the windows otherwise all 3 windows would be have the same look. There are so many ways to come up with a good image, but the trick is coming up with the right combination to give you the best image.

Yes the windows are probably a different layer from the lower exposure image. My problem is getting the image clarity and color. I'm wondering if its the lens? :\

Ok enough of the guess work. Lets put the tires to the pavement. I'de like to see somemone post a similar quality photo ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back