3357235368_f3c736894b.jpg

IMG_1947 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

3356421433_38b659dd2e.jpg

IMG_1906 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

3357250956_76d00f1d12.jpg

IMG_1842 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

3356424141_5e1a0764d5.jpg

IMG_1751 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

i feel as though the last 2 really could benefit from a fill flash... you kind of loose her face in both shots

also in #3 you cut off her feet..

I will suggest watch out for object in the background coming out from the subject's head type of situation.

In photo 1, the tree trunk is coming from the top of the subject's head. If the camera move a little to the left, it should look a lot better.

In photo 2, it seems like 2 black rays radiated out from the subject's ears. Again, reposition of the camera should solve the issue.

I think photo 4 will look better if the subject and the tree is not in the center of the photo. I will prefer pan the camera a little to the right. Also, I will level the horizon as well. :)

This is just my opinion.

First thing that comes to mind about the first three images is that the backgrounds are very busy and in focus (high f/stop setting used?). The last image isn't as bad but her face is rather dark compared to the rest of her.

Subject is very centered in all the images making the compositions static and kinda boring. Also subject doesn't take up much space making her seem less important. Might want to get closer and have the subject fill more of the frame.

It might be my work monitor, but her clothes are awful black...so black that there is no detail in them.

None of the images really do much for me...they're just there...nothing more.

IMO, there is too much going on as well as too much background for me to consider these portraits, either tighter crops are needed or a reshoot

just mho tho

First thing that comes to mind about the first three images is that the backgrounds are very busy and in focus (high f/stop setting used?). The last image isn't as bad but her face is rather dark compared to the rest of her.

Subject is very centered in all the images making the compositions static and kinda boring. Also subject doesn't take up much space making her seem less important. Might want to get closer and have the subject fill more of the frame.

It might be my work monitor, but her clothes are awful black...so black that there is no detail in them.

None of the images really do much for me...they're just there...nothing more.

I guess i just have a personal preference about centered subjects, not sure why, there are plenty of pictures i took that don't have her centered, these are just some of my favorite.

anyway, yea i have an issue when shooting models with them being lit well enough, if i remember right this day the lighting was rough it was a bad time to go out and there were no clouds to help with the sun. eventually im going to invest in a reflector, and after that perhaps an external flash.

Anyway, yea i have an issue when shooting models with them being lit well enough, if i remember right this day the lighting was rough it was a bad time to go out and there were no clouds to help with the sun. eventually im going to invest in a reflector, and after that perhaps an external flash.
Natural light outdoor portrait photography is probably one of the hardest things to do, especially if you're new to photography. With a reflector, off-camera flash/constant light or even the camera's pop-up flash for fill flash you at least have some control over how the image turns out.

I don't know which camera you have but you might want to experiment taking outdoor pictures using your pop-up flash for fill flash with the camera set up for -TTL flash metering. Use the FEC (flash exposure compensation) to control the amount of flash if you have to.

Natural light outdoor portrait photography is probably one of the hardest things to do, especially if you're new to photography. With a reflector, off-camera flash/constant light or even the camera's pop-up flash for fill flash you at least have some control over how the image turns out.

I don't know which camera you have but you might want to experiment taking outdoor pictures using your pop-up flash for fill flash with the camera set up for -TTL flash metering. Use the FEC (flash exposure compensation) to control the amount of flash if you have to.

I have a canon digital rebel xt, from what i've heard the pop up flash is awful, i would agree but i dont have much of a basis to compare. anyway, i've played with it a little, it usually seems to just blow out the face real bad and ruin the entire image. or it only lights certain parts so everything is lit different and looks terrible. I have two shoots in the next few days with new people, I just hope everything works timing wise so the sun isnt too harsh, that seems to really kill it.

Hi Foned, I really like #4, (wish the feet were all there) but it's quite nice.

That's a nice location, is that in Roseville? Whereabouts?

Hi Foned, I really like #4, (wish the feet were all there) but it's quite nice.

That's a nice location, is that in Roseville? Whereabouts?

its somewhere between roseville and lincoln, not sure exactly what city its in. not sure if you are familiar with the area but its up sierra college blvd before 12 bridges. i think im technically trespassing there but there arent signs posted so ill wait and see if i ever get messed with. it truly is a beautiful spot though, its my spot to warm models up to the idea of being shot without other people around and what not. its very private, serene.. yea. i want to head out there on a clear night, especially if there is a meteor shower.. ;]

Need tighter crops...you loose her in the vast and busy backgrounds. To me the backgrounds are not adding to the meaning or "theme" of the photo so they should be minimized as much as possible.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back