Delayed Shutter

IggySpringer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I can't seem to figure out why I'm getting a delayed shutter release. I've been shooting in Aperture Priority and for some reason my shutter is delayed. For instance today I was shooting at a park. It was a bit cloudy. I had my ISO at 200, F stop around 5 (18-105 3.5-5). Sometimes I wouldn't get a delayed shutter depending on if I was shooting in landscape or portrait. Of course if I use the on camera flash there wouldn't be a delay (I hate the on camera flash though). Any idea on why this is happening?

Last edited:
Make & model of camera might help; the most common cause of shutter delay of which I am aware is failure to focus. What were you trying of focus on, and what focusing mode were you in?

....fwiw,i set the delay on my camera once for some landscape stuff i was shooting,and forgot all about it when i was shooting another event several days later.Was quite a relief when I finally remembered i delayed it...

I can't seem to figure out why I'm getting a delayed shutter release. I've been shooting in Aperture Priority and for some reason my shutter is delayed. For instance today I was shooting at a park. It was a bit cloudy. I had my ISO at 200, F stop around 5 (18-105 3.5-5). Sometimes I wouldn't get a delayed shutter depending on if I was shooting in landscape or portrait. Of course if I use the on camera flash there wouldn't be a delay (I hate the on camera flash though). Any idea on why this is happening?

I do apologize. I have a Nikon D3100.

Make & model of camera might help; the most common cause of shutter delay of which I am aware is failure to focus. What were you trying of focus on, and what focusing mode were you in?

I was focusing on a female subject. It was graduation pictures at the park.

your camera is doing it right. You are on aperture priority. So the camera is setting the shutter to however it needs to properly expose it. It sounds like you need to stick with automatic mode.

your camera is doing it right. You are on aperture priority. So the camera is setting the shutter to however it needs to properly expose it. It sounds like you need to stick with automatic mode.

:D LOL you are right, It's seems OP don't know the working of Semi Automatic mode.

In AV mode you set the apeture you want and the camera will pick a shutter speed to expose the scene for the given ISO and metering mode. If you are getting slower than acceptable shutter speeds then there is not enough light to get the shutter speed faster for the ISO and apeture you have selected, and you will need to compensate by raising the ISO, opening up your apeture (smaller f number) or using flash or a combination of these to get the shutter speed you want.

The reason your shutter speed changed according to whither you were shooting in landscape or portrait is probably because there was a difference in the amout of reflected light getting to the camera from the surroundings.

In AV mode you set the apeture you want and the camera will pick a shutter speed to expose the scene for the given ISO and metering mode. If you are getting slower than acceptable shutter speeds then there is not enough light to get the shutter speed faster for the ISO and apeture you have selected, and you will need to compensate by raising the ISO, opening up your apeture (smaller f number) or using flash or a combination of these to get the shutter speed you want.

The reason your shutter speed changed according to whither you were shooting in landscape or portrait is probably because there was a difference in the amout of reflected light getting to the camera from the surroundings.

Thanks man. I appreciate your answer! I'm guessing it was doing that because it was cloudy.

Most reactions

Back