Frankly, neither. Despite popularity and hype, these were never all that durable, particularly zoom lens cameras that were prone to damage that affected focus and focal length change. Most are poor repair patients now since parts and repair resources are scarce-to-non-existent. Unless they're thrift-store cheap,IMHO, old p&s cameras just aren't worth it. NOS might work if they're not extortionately-priced but the cultish cachet now attached to them hasn't made them any more capable as cameras.

What might be better is a Canon or Nikon entry-level AF SLR with either a kit AF zoom(usually 28-70/80mm)or an AF 50/1.8. Bigger, yes. Better-built, yes. Cheaper, yes. Newer, yes. YMMV, as usual.

My opinion is there is no significant difference between the 2 cameras mentioned in terms of the results they will produce. You might as well pick the one with the most pressing appearance or color.

Just keep in mind that plastic is more fragile than metal and these plastic P&S cameras are not known for their longevity but, if treated gently, should last a few years or more.

BTW, practically any autofocus 35mm camera with flash IS a P&S camera or at least has a P&S mode. For example, the lower end 1990s Minolta, Nikon, Canon SLRs now available used at very low cost.

I am not a fan of them. You literally have no control. I would save yourself the headache. The only two I could even possibly recommend that have some level of control are The Ricoh Gr1 in the 35mm family and the Fujifilm GA645Zi in 120 family. Both of these have real good image quality and some level of control while still give you that point and shoot feel. Howver, both tend to suffer from LCD bleed issues that are annoying. My favorite point and shoots at this time are my Holgas.

I did really like those Ricoh P&S's back in the 90's. My Pop had a R1 back then and he loved it. Out of the 2 you have listed I'd go with the Olympus. But only because the zoom goes too 105mm.

I personally would rather have a Canon Rebel G SLR with a 35-80 zoom than any P&S. Although I am bias as I found a Rebel G in perfect working order at a thrift shop for $19.95.

Remarkably, Ricoh did very little to alter the form factor of the GR cameras: digital versions are nearly twins of their film ancestors. Love my little GR II. So much capability in so small a package.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back