Dell 2209WA Monitor -- IPS for less than $300?

icassell

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK, I've been monitor shopping. Was looking at the new Dell S2209w which is a high res HD monitor, but is a TN panel. In my hunt, I came across the Dell 2209WA and I am getting conflicting info. Somewhere I saw that it is an IPS panel. If that's true, it would be the least expensive IPS screen I've ever heard of . Does anyone know anything about this monitor. Specifically, has anyone actually seen one? Thoughts?

Ian

According to this it's an IPS panel. It seems strange for a $300 display to have even a PVA panel, let alone IPS.

Looks like you'll have to order through the Business section of the Dell website though. Not sure if they actually check you out on that.

According to this it's an IPS panel. It seems strange for a $300 display to have even a PVA panel, let alone IPS.

Looks like you'll have to order through the Business section of the Dell website though. Not sure if they actually check you out on that.

Hmmm ... yes it does say IPS
OK, since I'm not very knowledgeable about these things -- does IPS automatically make it better for photo editing or are there lousy IPS panels? Photography will be the primary use -- I'm not a gamer at all. This price seems awfully good. My experience with Dell monitors (I use them all the time at work, but not for color-critical applications) has been great and I came close to buying the $100 cheaper s2209w which is a 21.5" TN panel (and actually claims a higher resolution), but then I saw a reference to this one and this sounds superior. Does anyone out there have any direct experience or has anyone heard any pluses or minuses about this beast?

Last edited:
IPS means that there will be no chroma shift with changing viewing angles. This is very important for consistency whenediting photos, but as always there are different quality screens. The dell for instance will lack the colour accuracy, backlight consistency, or features such as colour lookup tables that are found in expensive monitors.

That said Dell make some of the cheapest IPS screens in the industry and they are still eons better than editing on a TN or PVA pannel

Well, I am having our IT guys at work see if they can get me a deal on it. I am part of the Dell Employee Purchase Plan (our hospital is 100% Dell), but this one is not offered to EPP members at discount. On the other hand, since we buy a gazillion dollars of Dell annually, they have come through for me in the past on oddball items.

The IPS panel is so appealing, but I can't justify spending alot of $$ on a monitor right now. I'll probably buy it anyway, discount or not. I'll let you folks know what happens. I must say that the S2209WA (a consumer TN panel, but full 1080i) sure was attractive too, but that TN designation scared me off.

Ian

Definitely do not buy a monitor developed with the TN process. I bought a Dell E228WFP and it could not display greys properly, no matter what settings I changed. Everything had a mushy reddish-yellowish tint and the colour rendition was generally terrible.

Well I bit the bullet and ordered the 2209WA -- total price including tax and shipping was $299.20 with my 7% employee discount (if you are at a place that uses alot of Dell equipment, look into this). List price if you don't have the plan is $299 with free shipping at the moment ... you then need to add tax. If the IPS panel is good, it is by far the cheapest I've encountered.

I'll let you know how it works out ... It has great reviews, but it is still new without a significant user base.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=04&sku=320-7825

Dell 2209WA Review - Monitors

Wooo haaaa! I got a notice from Dell that it shipped today and should be here next week. I'll keep you folks posted. I hope the review is accurate.

Ian

Yes, I like it very much. Bright and color reproduction seems quite good. I have never used another monitor except the WUXGA+ on my Dell Latitude 830 laptop, but I am very happy. I do want to buy a calibrator and that's my next step.

Ian

I suggest an iOne Display 2 calibrator unit. Works well with the NEC IPS display. (in fact that's what they bundle with their spectraview units).

Good to hear it's worked out.

Ian, I saw your post in the meet-up thread, saw that you were going to the zoo, and started to look at the threads you've recently posted. Saw this one and had to laugh.

I purchased the same monitor! Had seen a thread about it at the Canon POTN forum, and splurged. I like it lots!

Okay, now I'm trying to find the button that lets me insert my photo. Things have changed here at TPF recently!

Ah, found it...

me and my new 2209wa

3449519708_678644f415.jpg

Oh, google for reviews of monitor calibration devices.

The newest Spyder 3 gets really so-so reviews when I looked it up at Amazon.

I've purchased the Pantone Huey, but still haven't had a chance to use it. Maybe this weekend.

I've just now been trying to calibrate with the Pantone Huey, without success.

The software installed on my mac without problem. The app guides you through the process simply, first measuring ambient light. That seems okay. Then it says to suction cup the sensor to the display. Seems to be attached firmly but a Warning comes on after a bit saying a measurement error occurs. Either the sensor usb disconnected or the wrong display type was chosen.

Etc, etc. No success.

I've registered with Pantone and sent a question in. Maybe hear next week.

So I'm relying, as usual, on Photoshop's info palette for assuring correct colour.

Well I bought a like-new Spyder 3 on Amazon Marketplace a couple of weeks ago at a very good price. It's easy to use and seems to work well.

Ian

Most reactions

New Topics

Back