Depth of field Macro :)

Lee Gibson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What depth of field do you use to photograph insects in good visibility conditions?

What depth of field do you use to photograph insects in good visibility conditions?

Very little because that's all you can have. Focus stacking has become popular for such small subjects because of the fixed limitations of DOF.

Joe

In macro photography, DOF is paper thin. One usually uses a small aperture to get as much as possible, but as mentioned, focus stacking is commonly employed.

Everything already mentioned but if not focus stacking try to capture them when they're turned sideways to you so that you can get the whole length of the body in focus but of course any legs or wings on the other side of the body (or the same side) may be out of focus. I don't focus stack so that's what I ultimately shoot for.

As high as I can get without loosing to much to defraction as others have said DOF is very shallow mm’s if you are lucky
Image stacking is used a lot for these sorts of images a focus rail is a good investment if you are going to get into macro

Most reactions

Back