Desiree - Break my heart C&C

Village Idiot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Go ahead. Rip into it. I swear I won't pout.

1894153817_4ce27492c8_o.jpg

Wonderful. Not sure what you were going after, but maybe a warmer gel could have been used, but this really isolates her from the background.

Great job.

Sorry, can't break you heart. haha.

i love her hair color! in my opinion it would have been better if she would be looking up ...not sure what she is looking at

I really like the color tone of her skin. I'd like to see it cropped from her waist up. was it shot with one strobe up above?

Love the idea... Just one nitpick- it looks like she has bowling balls for shoes... aka you can see shine on one, and the other is just a black blob.. lol just thought I'd point that out.

I like this.. mostly. Nitpicks?

I'd rather see some kind of expression in her face. Like looking at the camera with some fierce eyes.

Second, her face looks too desaturated to me. I'd like to see a tad more red in there.

Third, I might dodge the neck shadows just a bit because they are pretty heavy.

I have seen this posted somewhere before..... ??????

If so, let me know :mrgreen:

This is actually from my first day out shooting with my flashes. Probably the best one for the day. It's amazing what lighting and information can do to your photos. This was shot around the first weekend in November.

Take this with a grain of salt, but IMO,

The kicker / rim light is too strong and has an unnatural feel about it. Instead of separation, you created blowout of her hair. Also, I might have put a snoot on the kicker to avoid the reflection of the strobe in the water between her legs.

Your model doesn't necessarily have to be looking at the camera. But IMO, she appears to be looking to her lower right...I would've like a bit more look further right and then move her off center (camera right).

Skin tone looks cadaverish.

With your aperture (f/8 ?), I think more detail of the rock wall behind may be good, otherwise use a larger aperture to create bokeh.

The black top and the back wall really blend into one another... more separation. Ahhh, wait a minute.... there's the problem....not the snoot, kicker is just too narrowed. Whereas, I think, the kicker light should've been diffused. Notice the hard light between her torso and arms? But from the outside edge of her arms and the background there is no separation.

I don't know how to say what I want to.

I like the shoot but would have liked to see 2 things;

More even light from the front, the upper part of her seems brighter than the bottom.

Now this might now be not possible due to lack of equipment, but if you had 2 flashes behind her, each off to 45 degrees behind her it would have given the shot a feel closer to the Martin Prihoda "Delerium" photoshoot and other similar shots discused on strobist. When i first saw this i thought about those pictures and how those setups yielded better results

But still, GREAT shot, keep emm coming.

I also struggle with the feet. She looks like she's floating.

Still better than I could do, though ;-)

I like the shoot but would have liked to see 2 things;

More even light from the front, the upper part of her seems brighter than the bottom.

Now this might now be not possible due to lack of equipment, but if you had 2 flashes behind her, each off to 45 degrees behind her it would have given the shot a feel closer to the Martin Prihoda "Delerium" photoshoot and other similar shots discused on strobist. When i first saw this i thought about those pictures and how those setups yielded better results

But still, GREAT shot, keep emm coming.

You mean, like these?

These were more recent shots...Last weekend in April maybe? Don Giannati, AKA WizWow from Lighting Essentials and a popular member of the Strobist group was at a meet at a studio in Baltimore the night before he was doing the workshop. Briana came with him and end up posing for us with two other models for the four hours we were there. He showed us the above setup.

Several members from the DC/Baltimore/NOVA strobist group took the workshop and the quality of their work was so much better than it was previously. Definitely worth the money if he's in your area.

Most reactions

Back