Destination wedding, scared of getting robbed!

MissCream

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, by nature I'm pretty paranoid but I am a little afraid I will get robbed when I shoot my first destination wedding in Jamaica (It's my best friend, I'm in the wedding so I will only be doing the formal shots and basically following them around, documenting their entire trip). It is at a resort and yes we will be leaving the resort. The grooms family is from Jamaica and want to take us to a couple places. I feel like I am going to be a target for anyone who wants a new camera... I will have my main camera, back-up and several lenses as well as my two flashes/stands and umbrellas (I will have an assistant). Am I crazy?? I'm sure the grooms family wouldn't bring us anywhere that was extremely dangerous or anything, I hope anyway!

Any advice? Maybe I should just carry a large stick, I'm sure that would scare people away!

(I heard Jamaica was very friendly, so nothing against them at all, I've just been reading a ton of information on getting robbed lol)

I understand your fear but it's not like you will be alone on those locations. I think it will be fine as long as u make sure there are always eyes on the equipment. Discuss this with your assistant.

Roll into Jamaica with your crew and your 9mm in hand.

And no, I'm not talking about a 9mm wide angle.

Is this your business? You can insure your equipment.

Yes, my equipment is already insured I'm just scared of getting injured or not being able to photograph the rest of my friends wedding :p

Yeah, a few people died during the shooting of "The harder they come" but you need to remember danger sells. Sells a movie in this case. Did any one really die? No idea.

All I know is my parents went there on vacation and everyone at the State Department told them they wouldn't come back...

I went there on vacation myself some years later, even went to Kingston, and I'm still here to talk about it... lol.

Just like anywhere else, don't be an idiot. But you have a local as one of your subjects? What the hell are you worried about?

Just use common sense. Don't leave your gear unattended in public places. This should apply anywhere, not just in Jamaica.
Make sure your gear is insured.
Make sure you protect the only thing that can't be replaced...the photos. So backup ASAP and keep a copy away from your gear.

Don't forget to have a plan for the humidity. It shouldn't be too much trouble to work in, but the tricky part is when you leave a cool, air conditioned area and go out into the hot & humid air. If exposed to the air, your gear will fog up and it may take a several minutes to clear....not good if you need to take photos right away...plus, you don't want all that moisture on (and in) your camera & lenses.

I know how you feel... there was a lot of talk about women leaving their expensive engagement and wedding rings home for their honeymoon to places like this, and getting a cheaper replacement just for the trip because of stuff like that... HOWEVER...

I think if you just shoot the wedding, you'll have an assistant, and then don't flash your camera around any other time outside of the wedding, you'll be fine. If they're getting *married* there... chances are they're getting married on a *resort*, where stuff like that is not likely to happen. It's when you go outside of the resorts that you start to run into trouble (IF you run into trouble at all).

So I wouldn't sweat it. :sillysmi:

Can they switch the wedding location to Bermuda? It's like Jamaica, without all the crime. :lol:

It's not the gear they are after in the foreign countries. It's the bargaining power a hostage brings to them. Your gear is fine. You are traveling with locals, so you are fine. Most of the destinations like that are so focused on their tourist trade that they protect them at all costs. If something starts happening to the tourists their economy goes to bat-**** in no time, You will be just fine.
I have been to Jamaica, Belize, Dominican, Bermuda, Bahamas, MANY places in Mexico... and lived to tell the tale without even one nightmare to tell from it. Would I go to a border town in Mexico today? Maybe. Any tourist destination resort? ABSOLUTELY.

Just use common sense. Don't leave your gear unattended in public places. This should apply anywhere, not just in Jamaica.
Make sure your gear is insured.
Make sure you protect the only thing that can't be replaced...the photos. So backup ASAP and keep a copy away from your gear.

Don't forget to have a plan for the humidity. It shouldn't be too much trouble to work in, but the tricky part is when you leave a cool, air conditioned area and go out into the hot & humid air. If exposed to the air, your gear will fog up and it may take a several minutes to clear....not good if you need to take photos right away...plus, you don't want all that moisture on (and in) your camera & lenses.

Geeze I didn't even think about humidity! I'll probably just set my camera on the balcony (assuming it's not shared and not on the first floor) in the shade when I go for breakfast so it will be ready by the time I hit the beach :)

I think it's funny how people get worried about "places like this"....when the crime rate in most major cities is much worse. :lol:

Geeze I didn't even think about humidity! I'll probably just set my camera on the balcony (assuming it's not shared and not on the first floor) in the shade when I go for breakfast so it will be ready by the time I hit the beach :)

Ya, you just need to let it warm up before you take it out. Ideally, sealing it in an air tight bag/container while it warms up, would be best....but at the least, leave it zipped up in your camera bag until it warms up. The problem with that though, is that a padded camera bag acts like a cooler, keeping the gear cold for quite a while.

As an added precaution, I'd suggest getting some desiccant packs to keep in your camera bag. They are to absorb moisture so that your gear doesn't sit in damp stagnant air inside your bag.

dessicant

Most reactions

Back