Developing and scanning film

haring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Where do you develop and scan your medium format film? I got a quote from my local camera store and just want to make sure that I know my options...

How much does it usually cost to develop film for medium format? Where is the best place to develop the film? Is there an online based company with competitive prices?

Do you scan your images yourself?

Thanks!

I develop in my kitchen and scan in my bedroom.

I've never used them, but Dwayne's has a reputation for being the best. You local WalMart sends out the stuff that they can't or you don't want done in house. You will end up pfinding a good lab locally. They will develop your 120 and most likely screw it up through carelessness or mishandling. You will also be unhappy with the quality of the scans. Then you will find a better lab and pay for high res TIFFS instead of the standard JPEGS. After going through this cycle a few times with unsatisfactory results, you will realize that your cost for dev/scan is approaching $20 per roll and you have already shelled out the cost of home processing equipment and a scanner a few times over.

If you are comfortable with your local camera store and know that they are familar with developing, then go for it. (You might give them a less important roll for starters, just to make sure.)

As Compur implies above, if you enjoy shooting MF film then you'd be wise to learn how to develop at home, especially if you're shooting a lot of B&W. After a very small outlay to pick up the necessary chemistry and tank, you ultimately end up spending only pennies for development.

There are many more outlets available to you for scanning negatives, so that would be the least of your concerns. A good negative scanner is much more costly than the few items needed for home film development. And no, you don't need a darkroom, enlarger, or safelights. You only need complete darkness to load the film - I used to sit on the floor of my closet - and the rest you can do while standing at the kitchen or bathroom sink.

But if this is not appealing to you, then you have to learn to trust what you have available locally. Develop a relationship with these guys and they'll treat you right. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back