Developing help

zombiekilla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
totentanz.darkverselight.com
Sometimes when I develope my film there is absolutely nothing on it. Ive had my camer for quite a while and never had this problem with store developed film, so I dont think its the camera. Also I can hear the film advancing and it rewinding so I know its taking the pictures. Ive had this happen to me three times so far and its really getting annoying so Im asking for your advice. Do you think its possible I am letting it develope too long or maybe not getting the stop bath or fixer right? any info is appreciated!!

You can hear the gears moving while advancing and rewinding, but that doesn't mean that the film is going through it. 9 times out of 10, it is a miss loading problem. Look at the blank film. Can you read the make and the film speed on the edges? If you can it isn't a developing problem.

If it's a developing problem it's not in the stop or fixer. Is it possible your developer is exhausted or contaminated?

Well, developing too long should result in overly dense negs. What film are you using, and what developer?

zombiekilla3k said:
nope theres nothing there at all.

Arista films usually don't have a brand name or film speed along the sprocket holes. Are there frame numbers?

OK. When you bulk load, both ends of the film are exposed to light. Both ends will come out black if you have processed the roll anywhere near correctly.

If the ends are black, it indicates that the film is not being transported correctly in the camera. You can check this in most 35mm cameras by loading the film and then, without pressing the rewind button, gently turning the rewind knob until you feel resistance. Then, when you advance the film, the rewind knob should turn. If it doesn't, it's a bad load [film tongue not caught by the take-up spool] or a defective mechanism. You should make this check a part of your camera technique for each and every roll you shoot.

Also, if the ends are black, another [remote] possibility is that you're mixing up the film cassettes and processing film which has not been used. You keep this from happening by rewinding all the film, including the leader, back into the cassette when you finish exposing a roll of film.

If the ends of the film are not black, it's your development process. We can trouble-shoot that for you if it's the problem.

the 0nly exception to what torus said is if you load your film by hand in a black bag as I do. Then there are no black ends.

When I get nothing at all, is it usually one of the following. Listed in the order of likelyhood.

Far and away most likely didn't go through the camera...(last time that happened I shot a horseshow for money.) As long as the camera has a manuel rewind you can check as above. If not, it should have an lcd readout.

Second most likely is that I put the wrong chemical in first (fixer).. If you are mixing them each time (as I do myself) use a very distinctive contain for your developer. I use a very wide mouth plastic container. The other chemicals are in color coded bottles.

Third is the old wrong roll, if that happens most likely you have screwed up two rolls, since there is an exposed roll lying about somewhere.

forth I forgot to wrap the film cassette in tin foil after I shot it... therebye leaving it susceptable to the alien mind control beam... (They never tell you that it distroys film.)

Least likely is that the film gremlin has tampered with my film. But it does happen now and then. Also accounts for totally black film. Also known as shutter failure.

What kind of camera are you using?

If it's a manual wind camera you should be able to see the rewind knob turn slightly when you advance the film. It may take a few frames advanced to see this turning start.

mysteryscribe said:
forth I forgot to wrap the film cassette in tin foil after I shot it... therebye leaving it susceptable to the alien mind control beam... (They never tell you that it distroys film.)

This is why I switched to digital. The tin foil market was going insane =\

I am using a Pentax PZ10. Its all automatic. and it has this thing on the lcd panel that shows weather or not its loaded correctly. Also because its all automatic it rewinds when it gets to the end of the roll. I HAVE mis loaded it before and it didnt take and then it never rewinds, so I know its not that. Also there are no black ends on the film. I load it with a watson 35mmbulk film loader. Im so lost!!!!

Most reactions

Back