Developing my first roll!

Everyone has their own methods - here are my prejudices in film developing.

Water is fine as a stop bath, I just don't waste any time getting the fixer in there.

TMax developer is the best developer for TMax films - better highlight and shadow detail, less grain - dilute the concentrate for each use and discard. You should try it!

Fixer is pretty cheap - no point making extra effort to re-use it many times - pour it back a few times and then toss it.

Photo Flo always gave me trouble, so after the wash, I used to rinse twice in distilled water (easy to get in the store) and just hang, squeegee and dry. The distilled water has no minerals in it, so you shouldn't get any spots.

Agitation when fixing is crucial, especially in small tanks, you don't need HCA if you wash the film for the prescribed time..... I would rinse with with distilled water due to minerals and I never had any problem with photo flo just use a few cc's I never would squeegee, just hang wet in an enclosed drying cabinet..... there are many wasy you just have to pick a procedure that works for you.

You can get a small squeeze bottle of hypo check for a couple of dollars. Put 2 drops into your fixer and if it gets cloudy it is time to change. The one I have now is Arista but I think I had Edwal in the past.

I always stopbath then fix for 3 minute constant agitation then have a look to see if they have fixed ok ( always use Ilford stopbath and fix changes color when it has had it) and use a paterson force film washer attached to domestic tap

Most reactions

Back