Developing old B&W film

Noahlang94

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I recently bought a Minolta 16 camera. With it came a few boxes of Amoa brand film.. it’s black and white and says high speed. I’m wondering how I’d go about developing it. I couldn’t get rodinal to work, but I don’t know if my dilution would’ve been right. I have no clue what developer would’ve been used back then, and any chemicals needed in general for fixer/stop. I’d like to try experimenting with this camera.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
For very old BW film I use Kodak X-Tol diluted 1:1. Now shooting old BW film I would shoot it at 1 stop over but develop normal. I'm not sure what ASA/ISO that film is but very old verichrome (125 ASA) I dev in the 1:1 Xtol for 10 mins.
Xtol at 1:1 reduces the "base fog".

Would I use a regular fixer, or would I have to use a hardening fixer? Also, does it need any agitation??

I use Ilford rapid fixer which is non-hardening.

My personal way of developing.......

Developer I agitate for 10 seconds every minute.
Rinse very well twice with tap water (I do not use stop bath).
Constant agitation for 2-5 minutes with the Ilford fixer.
Wash running water for 30mins.
Dip into Photo-Flo for 45seconds, NO SQUEEGEE, hang to dry.

I use Ilford rapid fixer which is non-hardening.

My personal way of developing.......

OK, I agree up to NO SQUEEGEE. I've been using a very similar process to yours since the early 1980s (mainly Tri-X 400 in HC110), but with the squeegee and have not had any problems as long at the squeegee is clean. Am I missing something?

OK, I agree up to NO SQUEEGEE. I've been using a very similar process to yours since the early 1980s (mainly Tri-X 400 in HC110), but with the squeegee and have not had any problems as long at the squeegee is clean. Am I missing something?
I have never used a squeegee (or my fingers), why?, because with Photo-Flo you do not need to use a squeegee. Just tilt the film, let it drain off a bit and hang to dry.
Also, I am a commercial BW film processor for the camera store/lab I work at and I never want to take any chance of ever scratching a customers film.

Thank you all! 😄 I ordered x-tol, so I’ll keep you up to date on the results

Forgot pre-wash........Doh!

Most reactions

Back