developing slide film

skatephoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey, if anyone knows a place that developes slide film in the north jersey area i would really appreciate it. Also i am new to using slide film so if someone could give me some pointers that would be great. thanks

Most "Pro Labs" will do it for you. Check around your area in the phone book for any labs that do E6 proccessing. Any lab that does E6 will develop your slide rolls.

Fuji makes a great slide film, the best advice is just to be sure all your settings are right on your camera, i.e. your light meter readings and f/stop. Slide film is less fogiving them negative film. And make sure to bracket if your at all unsure about your shot.

Also slide film does not capture as much contrast as print film. Usually about 3-4 stops while print film can capture 5... black and white even more.

this is just to expand on what's been posted by voodoocat and havoc...

shooting slide film is very different from shooting print film. print film has a much wider exposure latitude than slide film. you can actually overexpose your negatives by 2, sometimes 3 stops, and still come away with an okay photograph by adjusting the exposure in the printing stage. you can also go the other way and underexpose print film by a couple of stops and still make a print from the negatives.

slide film, however, has a very narrow exposure latitude, and will not tolerate over or under exposure by more than 1/2-1 stop. this means your exposures have to be precise and on the money. you WILL see a difference between a slide that is exposed properly, and one that is under or over-exposed by 1/2 or even 1/3 stop. shooting with slides is a very good measure of your skills in metering and proper exposure techniques. i shoot on slides regularly because it makes good practice and will definitely hone your skills as a photographer.

exposing the two is also different. generally with print film you want to expose for the shadows, and print for the highlights. with slide film, however, you want to expose for the highlights. simply put, print film is better shot overexposed, while slide film is better shot slightly underexposed. in fact, if you underexpose slide film by 1/3 stop, you will end up with more saturation and contrast.

different slide films yield different results, just like print film. Fuji Velvia 50 (or even 100) results in a warmer, more saturated, contrastier image. it handles greens exceptionally well. it is a very vibrant film. Fuji Provia 100 has a cooler look to it, and i find it is a more muted film.

i don't suggest shooting on higher speed slide films (400 and up). shoot with 50 or 100 speed slide films for the best saturation and contrast, as well as fine grain. also, if you plan on scanning your slides, the slower the film the better.

slide film isn't for everyone, but i do suggest you try it. if you can learn how to properly expose slide film, it will make you a better photographer all around. you will find your work will be more consistent, whether you shoot on slide film or print film, because you will learn proper metering and exposure. and there's nothing like seeing your first properly exposed slide on the light table :)

sean

If you don't know of any pro shops around your area, wal-mart can develop slide film, it just takes a week or two.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back