Using ND filters to blur water flow

denum

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I decided to visit a water fall area in an effort to practice blurring water flow using an ND filter. This shot was at Cataract Falls near Mt Tamalpias north of San Francisco. I used a 3 stop filter for about 3 seconds of exposure time. I especially like the rock at the bottom left corner with it's see through water. Let me know what you all think...criticism is good, even appreciated. Thanks

Nice water blur resized.jpg

Ok up front I don’t like the milk effect.
HOWEVER, as this what you wanted, I think that you have captured it very well.
CC. maybe a little room at the top of the image and if you could have got a person or animal on the bridge
does the image tell a story, yes I feel that I could be there enjoying the peace. Whilst standing on the green rock On the right.

The 'texture' of the water is correct. But the huge dark boulder on the left draws the eye too much.

Yes, true but the overall exposure is just about right.
Nope. The contrast range is massive here. Overall? Rocks or water--take your pick. Having both would require an unrewarding degree of post on a so-so shot.

If you decide you want to shoot more long exposures of water, use exposure compensation or expose for the water. Yes, the rest of the landscape will be underexposed. You can either dodge the landscape so it's not under lit. Or use HDR or multiple exposures (one exposing for the water, one for the darker landscape).

I decided to visit a water fall area in an effort to practice blurring water flow using an ND filter. This shot was at Cataract Falls near Mt Tamalpias north of San Francisco. I used a 3 stop filter for about 3 seconds of exposure time. I especially like the rock at the bottom left corner with it's see through water. Let me know what you all think...criticism is good, even appreciated. Thanks

View attachment 271282
Is there a waste-water treatment plant upstream?

First off welcome to TPF.

As you have just seen, when you ask for general critique they'll be all over the board. I took the time to pull a luminosity histogram on the image. As you can see it isn't overexposed or underexposed.

1706493683966.png

It shows a typical curve for a scene with bright highlights, dark shadows and very little in the midtones. You have a full data file that could likely be improved some post.

You'll also get varied opinions on blurred water, some hate it, some like a few water drops, and some want milky smooth. Personally I strive to go a little below the milk smooth mark so I can maintain some texture/details in the water.

I do agree with the comment on the black rock cliff on the left. IMO changing perspective to minimize or eliminate it would have improved the shot.

Or use HDR or multiple exposures (one exposing for the water, one for the darker landscape).
That's a great idea. I'll definitely try that next time. Thanks!

First off welcome to TPF.

As you have just seen, when you ask for general critique they'll be all over the board. I took the time to pull a luminosity histogram on the image. As you can see it isn't overexposed or underexposed.

View attachment 271284
It shows a typical curve for a scene with bright highlights, dark shadows and very little in the midtones. You have a full data file that could likely be improved some post.

You'll also get varied opinions on blurred water, some hate it, some like a few water drops, and some want milky smooth. Personally I strive to go a little below the milk smooth mark so I can maintain some texture/details in the water.

I do agree with the comment on the black rock cliff on the left. IMO changing perspective to minimize or eliminate it would have improved the shot.
Agreed on the big rock on the left side. Sometimes composition is hard to achieve given the surroundings, and cropping might elitminate something you want to save. I was using a new Platypod 'tripod' on a small boulder and this was the shot I settled for. Thanks for your input!

The 'texture' of the water is correct. But the huge dark boulder on the left draws the eye too much.
Agreed on the boulder on the left. I strive for perfect composition but sometimes you pick the lesser of the evils.

Thanks everybody for the honest replies. Really appreciate everything said.

I decided to post a second shot of the falls. Perhaps the composition is better on this one. Your thoughts?

Cataract falls cropped.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back