Diaphragm stuck

FredF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The diaphragm on my D200 keeps getting stuck on the most closed position (f/16). The problem persists over all my lenses so the problem is in the camera body, not the diaphragms themselves. One has to set the diaphragm to max stopped down in order to operate like all modern cameras but the viewfinder normally keeps it fully open until the actual exposure. I can get temporary relief by removing the lens and taking a few exposures with BULB, but the problem soon returns. Any suggestions?

I can't imagine any more sensible suggestion than sending to camera repair.

Or upgrade, since the D200 was the Nikon choice when I got my Canon 30D, four bodies ago. Sensor technology has improved.

I can't imagine any more sensible suggestion than sending to camera repair.

Just a comment: I had the same issue with my Nikon D1 about 10 years ago. I took the camera to my photo dealer, which sent it to the official, authorized, genuine west coast Nikon USA repair facility in Torrance, California. You know how much the repair bill was? A truly STAGGERING $704. No SHY+...I about blew a gasket, and complained loud and long to the store management, which admitted they "tacked on" their "costs" for sending it in for me. I ended up paying $554 for the repair...which was actually NOT DONE RIGHT. Nikon F&&&ED UP, and did not actually FIX THE camera properly! The returned and allegedly "repaired" Nikon D1 was so screwed up it was not funny at all.

Nikon fixed one issue, the failure of the in-body diaphragm actuation mechanism system to work at all, but Nikon's "repair" job caused a second, brand new problem! They ruined the camera's depth of field preview or "stop-down button!!!" Whenever the depth of field button is pressed--the shutter fires! LOL.

Eff-tard of the Week Award for Nikon's, Torrance repair facility. "Repair" a camera, charge over $550 for the repair, and EFF UP the repair!!! Amazingly bad service. I'm still pissed about it.

Annyway...I would not pay to have a D200 repaired by Nikon USA. Seriously. Just buy another one. Or get something newer and much,much better.

Last edited:
If your Diaphragm is stuck i would suggest going to a hospital or looking up ways to un-stuck it with emed or some thing.

Have you tried getting a strong light and a magnifier and looking at the mount, perhaps there is a small piece of debris in there. I'd also try someone else's known good lenses on the camera and my lenses on a known working camera. At least when you send it off for repair you'll know you did all you could do.

Most reactions

Back