Did i get a descent deal on my L lens or did i get ripped off?

SensePhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i purchased EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM lens from eBay couple days ago as you probably remember. The guy was a 100% positive feedback seller and said that the optics are in 10/10 condition. I ended up paying $1640 including next day air shipping.

When i received the lens it came with all the thing the L lenses normally come with and the exterior looked good but on the glass there was a scratch, nothing major and not visible in the shots but it was bugging me that its there. I contacted the seller; he apologized and offered to refund $150 which i took. Is $1490 ok for that lens?

Sounds about right.

Consider that a new 70-200mm F2.8 L IS II will cost you about $2400.
(Granted, the II version is better than this one...)

Sounds about right.

Consider that a new 70-200mm F2.8 L IS II will cost you about $2400.
(Granted, the II version is better than this one...)

i was considering the IS II but this just being my hobby the price was a bit steep

Are you happy with the results? I guess that is really the biggest question...

I'm still playing around with it but i do like it so far, i think ill enjoy it even more on full frame body.

I usually only look on CL to avoid ebay fee and shipping. Plus I can look at it and test it.

I paid mine for $1300. Pristine condition but I didnt get the pouch, bag, and box. Only lens, caps, and hood.

The biggest thing to be aware of when buying on ebay is the value of what you're buying. That will preclude overpaying.

I dont see it on B&H. It just says discontinued. I think I got a good deal.

I paid mine for $1300. Pristine condition but I didnt get the pouch, bag, and box. Only lens, caps, and hood.

^ Not a great deal if it was a recent purchase, IMO. It's only $1,376 at B&H. New... and complete. Free shipping in the contiguous United States.

damn it

You have the IS version. The replies in this thread are quoting the price of the MUCH less expensive NON-IS version.

It's hard to say how much the scratch hurts the value, but the price you paid originally is in the fair price ballpark.

I must be missing something, i get lenses of ebay cheap and in mint condition.
like a Canon 28-80mm EF for $29.00 and Canon 75-300mm for $61.00, of
course i wait for a good deal. I cant see paying 100's of dollars for lenses.

I must be missing something, i get lenses of ebay cheap and in mint condition.
like a Canon 28-80mm EF for $29.00 and Canon 75-300mm for $61.00, of
course i wait for a good deal. I cant see paying 100's of dollars for lenses.

Some people like good lenses. :er:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back