Did I make the right choice, Sony A200

elec999

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got my self a Sony Alpha 200 with three lens (75-300MM, 55-200MM 18-70MM). I am still not sure I made the right choice. Alot of people are telling me to go with Canon or Nikon camera. I really want a 28-300mm or 18-270mm lens and a nice Flash.
Thank you

A lot of people will tell you a lot of things.
As long as you like the camera and it feels good in your hands and you find it easy to use. Then you made the right choice.

Sony does make an 18-250 and 18-200mm lens both f/3.5-6.3 and both around $550
And I'm sure you could find many more in that range that you want if you look at older a mount minolta lens' on ebay or keh.com

Sony makes very good cameras and as far as bodies go their just as good as Canon and Nikon. Canon and Nikon have a wider selection of new lens' but Sony also gives you access to a wide range of older Minolta and third party lens' like Sigma and Tamron that work with the Alpha mount because Sony bought Konica-Minolta's camera division a few years ago.

When it comes to camera choice, no one can tell you what to do. If you yourself did not do the proper research, testing and playing before you made the purchase, very likely no matter what you bought (unless you just got lucky), will not fit your needs.

As mentioned, Sony makes nice cameras. The question is... is it right for you? Only you can answer that. ;)

I got my self a Sony Alpha 200 with three lens (75-300MM, 55-200MM 18-70MM). I am still not sure I made the right choice. Alot of people are telling me to go with Canon or Nikon camera. I really want a 28-300mm or 18-270mm lens and a nice Flash.
Thank you

Welcome to the forum!!!

Will the camera do what you need to do?

Anyway, have fun with your new camera and keep clicking. :) No need to worry about what other people said. Limitation is only your imagination.

You did OK with the camera but I find your lens choice interesting.

Generally speaking the wider the zoom range the lower the quality in comparison to a lens with less of a zoom. The usual approach is a fast 2.8 wide angle 18mm to 50mm or so with macro and then either a 70 to 200mm 2.8 with a +2 extender or a 70mm to 300mm Sony G lens.

In other words covering from crop body 27mm to 600mm or 450mm with 2 more expensive but higher quality lens versus buying 3 lenses of lesser quality.

On the other hand of course, it depends on your own objectives and the type of photography that you want to do, as well as the balance of cost versus quality which is a different issue for everyone.

Have fun with your new "toys". :D

skieur

Well, you have to believe that the best camera gear is the one on your hands. Don't be swayed with other people's opinion of which is the best and which is not. And now that you have that interesting setup, go ahead and shoot to improve your skills.

Cheers!

Captain Kimo

Why do you feel you did not make the correct choice ... just because other people say Nikon/Canon ... or you have encountered something with the Sony a200 you do not like ?

If there was only one correct choice, the camera manufacturing market would be much more simple, b/c there would be only one camera and everyone would use the same thing. You chose a path less travelled by in buying something other than Nikon or Canon, so you'll take some grief (just as I do as a Pentax shooter) from the sheeple that will only call you a photographer or take you serious if you shoot Brand X and only when combined w/ a certain lens. Otherwise, it's probably as capable a body as any other.

Thank you

the sony alpha a200 is the best entry level slr. you made a great choice. sony is price protected so unless you spent more than 500 on the basic kit you got a great deal! the sony gives you everything the canon xs does short of the live view ... and your not gonna spend thousands of dollars on lenses. so the lenses you have and will get are fine ..... and you can always sell it if you want to! and nikon cant touch that camera at the price point ....... shoot away! learn photography! and when you get serious with photography you can make a better decision on what is good to you!

The lenses were include as part of the deal. Thats why Ive got a weird lens selection. I really want a Sony 18-250mm lens to be able to have the best of everything without changing lenses all the time.

The lenses were include as part of the deal. Thats why Ive got a weird lens selection. I really want a Sony 18-250mm lens to be able to have the best of everything without changing lenses all the time.

i can understand that. but your just going to spend more money. the lenses you have might be faster than the one you want at certin focal lengths and might have less in the quality factor .... you have a nice wide lens, and a couple good zoom lenses ...... maybe look into a fast prime lens ... buying an all in one lens sometime isnt very good.... but one i do recomend is the tamron 28-300 vc ..... the stabilizer in that lens is sick! and its kinda all in one

Most reactions

Back